<

Best iMac external hard drive?

Postby birtingr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:07 pm

I want an external hard drive to save my pictures on separately. Which one is the best?
birtingr

Postby geri34 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I want an external hard drive to save my pictures on separately. Which one is the best?
They'll pretty much be all the same. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then just get the cheapest one that is the size you want. Otherwise, for a single external drive, this one is "best" for the reasons below:

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-All-Terrain-Portable-External-301945/sim/B003RFRU1W/2

1. It supports USB 3.0. Your iMac can't take advantage of 3.0, but future Macs will. Your current iMac will access it at USB 2.0 speed.

2. It is drop resistant.

3. It powers itself off of USB, so you don't need to plug it into an external power source. Only one cord.

4. It's 7200 RPM, which means that it's fast.

Here's another good one:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Book-Mirror-WDH2U20000N/dp/B001B8RSAK

This one is "mirrored", meaning that there are two hard drives in it. The computer writes everything to both drives, so if one drive breaks, your data is still on the other.
geri34

<

Postby inis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't know which is the best one as I've not tried them all. But I've been using an Iomega external hard drive for a number of years and it is still doing its job perfectly well.
inis

Postby blaike » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:13 pm

I don't know which is the best one as I've not tried them all. But I've been using an Iomega external hard drive for a number of years and it is still doing its job perfectly well.
Lacie is solid. Get a drive with Firewire 800 and you'll do fine.
blaike

Return to iMac