<

I have an iMac with 2 horizontal lines on my desktop, what is going on?

Postby vanness » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 am

This is the 2nd time that this has happened(it went away after the 1st time shortly thereafter). I feel it has something to do with having 2 Safari pages open at the same time and then it "burns" the top of the page into the desktop.
vanness

Postby barny » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 am

Marsha - you can try plugging in a second monitor to see if the lines show up there, if so, then it could be your iMac's monitor.

If the lines are still there, then it could be your video adapter (card) going bad. Not good.

You can tell the difference between burn-in and a bad video adapter by looking at the screen when the system is off/screen dark - you'll still see the lines. Typically LCD's don't have burn-in like old CRT monitors do, but they can have image persistence.

Lines on the monitor are usually a bad video adapter and since it's integrated onto the motherboard, you often need to replace the whole board - not cool Apple :-(

Here's a link to Apple that might help:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807?viewlocale=en_US

Unfortunately, Apple screws a lot of stuff up and doesn't support you much. They just appear to help some people if under warranty, but it's pretty poor service for many.

Hope you get this resolved!
barny

<

Postby billy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:26 am

Are the lines able to change color? Are they white, and that's why they disappear during the white screen? What window do you use often that could create those lines? Lines that just appear - and are obvious (wrong color, etc.) are usually bad lcd (could be adapter). Can't fix that.
billy

Postby badan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am

Just a thought - sorry, what iMac do you have? Is it overheating (room hot?) Cool it down. If an iMac 24" video card is separate - I think. Out of warranty? Open it up and clean it out. Can of air spray. Can try other things, but need to know which iMac model/video card, etc.
badan

Postby egan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 am

if its new and/or under warranty do not let them change the screen ask TO GET IT REPLACED THRU THE PHONE once they change something or open it to do something to it you are stuck with it, get a new if its ok for you good luck.
egan

Postby rye29 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:41 am

Could be an issue with the video card or the LCD. Do these lines disappear once you put a window in front of them or do they overlap the window as well?
rye29

Return to iMac