<

How do I completely close a program on Max OS X?

Postby ritchie2 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:52 pm

I've recently switched from a Windows© PC to an iMac©. In Windows©, simply closing a window (clicking the red 'X' in the upper right corner) would generally close a program like Internet Explorer or Picture Viewer. In Mac OS X, that's not the case.

After opening a few programs, Safari, Garage Band, and Mail, I checked the Activity Monitor. Each of these programs were using resources, rightfully so. After closing them (clicking the red button in the upper left corner), I assumed they would be closed, and not use any more resources. This wasn't the case. I checked the Activity Monitor again, and they were still active. Below each of those programs' icons, on the dock, I noticed a little blue light...which I assumed that meant that program was running. Right clicking that icon gave me the option to quit that program.

Is there a more sure-fire way to close a program, like Safari, by just clicking the red button in the upper left hand corner? I really don't want to have to close each program twice.

Any suggestions to this new Mac user is much appreciated. Thanks guys.
ritchie2

Postby gryphin23 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:58 pm

to close a program in OS X you need too look at the bar on top of your screen you will see options like
and apple symbol firefox/file/view were you see the application you have selected listed click on that then scroll down to quit that should do it another way in to look on your dock if you launched the application from the dock you should see an icon for that application or if you minimized it you should see an icon an the right side of the dock if you right click on that icon it will bring up a right click menu just like in windows then you should see quit

if not of that is is helpful here is a video to help with pc to mac basics http://www.my friend's site.com/watch?v=zlT_U7gZYh0
gryphin23

<

Postby feagh » Fri May 13, 2011 3:01 pm

I find this. http://seekitnow.info/15068/any-more
feagh

Postby harlen » Fri May 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Command+Q will do the trick. you probably want to look up other commands/shortcuts. Mac has many of these and they prove to come in handy eventually.
harlen

Postby calvert » Fri May 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Apple + Q
calvert

Return to iMac