<

How do i find out my SSID, WEP/WPA, IP, Gateway?

Postby blagdan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I need to find out my
SSID
WEP/WPA
IP Address
Gateway
and all that fun stuff! :D

I've been trying to set up my Wi-Fi on my DSi for weeks. -__-
It's getting really frustrating because i can't find and useful information on the internet.

Btw i have an iMac.
If the only way you know how to find out this is a PC, i'll ask my mother if i could use her laptop from work.
blagdan

Postby heammawihio » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:47 pm

It depends on your router, but most of the times you will need to have a pc or use your Mac to hard wire to the router, and then type 192.168.1.1 (maybe 192.168.0.1) into the address bar. This is the part that it will depend on the manufacturer of the wireless router. Some have different IP addresses that you will need to put in there. At this point, you will likely need to login to the router. If you have not setup a username & password for it, just google the brand of router with "admin password" and you will get a bunch of results. Also depending on the wireless router, the next step depends on a lot of things. Most are pretty easy to navigate though.
heammawihio

<

Postby connlaoi4 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:50 pm

SSID is the network name you're trying to join.
WEP/WPA is the encryption type and it should be under the setup for the router
IP http://www.ipchicken.com/
connlaoi4

Postby shadrach » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:00 pm

The key is to find the router's local IP address. Normally, it's 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, but it can be any of literally hundreds of addresses. If you can dig up the documentation for the router, either from the material that came with it or from its manufacturer's website, you should be able to find the default value (the value if nobody changed it after you got it). If so, also get the login information -- you'll need it.

By the way, the router is your gateway, so its IP address is also the gateway IP address.

Once you get the IP address, using a computer cabled to the router (even temporarily) enter it in your browser's address window and press enter. (No need for anything like http:// in front of it.)

You should get a login box. Here's where you'll need that login information.

Once you get in, you'll have to look around for the other information you need. One tip: Resist the urge to play with anything you see. Look but don't touch.

If for some reason you can't log into the router, you're going to have to consider resetting it with the reset hole or button. A big warning here: Resetting the router resets everything in it. There's almost a 100% chance you or someone else will have to get it working again.

Then again, maybe Macs simplify this, too.

Hope that helps.
Hope that helps.
shadrach

Return to iMac