<

Do I need to buy an extra monitor?

Postby aethelmaere » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Do I need to buy an extra monitor? Hello all, I want to buy a mac mini to use a server and I already have an imac, my question is that I was wondering if I needed at all to invest in a new screen for this or can I use some kind of remote access? I know OS X leopard has some kind of remote access application, but will it work with a brand new computer out of the box? Thanks for the comments.
aethelmaere

Postby kerk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Do I need to buy an extra monitor? Hello all, I want to buy a mac mini to use a server and I already have an imac, my question is that I was wondering if I needed at all to invest in a new screen for this or can I use some kind of remote access? I know OS X leopard has some kind of remote access application, but will it work with a brand new computer out of the box? Thanks for the comments.
kerk

<

Postby sachio » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Leopard user here. At least the last two major versions of OS X have shipped with a built-in remote access feature, all that you have to do is turn it on. You can then control your mac from anywhere else in the network, all you will need is a VNC application (a very common real app for OS X is Chicken of the VNC). You can do this from any operating system.While it would be convenient to have the mini connected to an actual monitor while you set it up, once you are done there's no point in keeping it connected, using the VNC client is fine. If your client machine is also Leopard, then the VNC client is built into the finder, all that you need to do is find the mini through your finder, then you will see a button to start the remote control session. Plus of course, you can always use ssh and manage it through the command line interface.
sachio

Postby searlas7 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:16 pm

I wouldn't worry about any remote desktop software working out of the box because you will probably need a monitor to complete the initial set up of the mac mini. Remote desktop applications and services rely on you opening the necessary ports for them to function and/or to install some software and none of that is possible when you first turn on the mac and it is asking you what time zone you are in. If you can borrow a monitor from another computer to complete the initial setup you can install a number of real applications to let you control the mini remotely from then on. I don't use Leopard, but I believe the newest version of ichat which comes with it allows for desktop sharing. I personally use an application called Chicken of the VNC which works well between my local machines. I like it because all I had to do was open the designated port and then launch the application on the client machine. Because the service was already activated on the remote machine no other configuration was necessary.
searlas7

Postby laren » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:18 pm

If the Mac Mini will reside near your current computer, you could purchase a KVM switch, which will allow you to share your Keyboard, Video, and Mouse across two or more computers. Source(s): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=1...
laren

Postby kedric98 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:23 pm

This would be ideal, except that they have an iMac, which does not have an extra video input. It's not a solution in this case.
kedric98

Postby kirby » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I wouldn't buy an extra monitor you'll only need it during the initial setup. After that you just set it where ever you want just remember not to use a password are you will have to connect the monitor every time you restart. Other then that I'd recommend you just buy a cheap full size desktop so you can add more storage as you need it at the moment the mac mini tops out at 500GB Minis the OS and programs due to the use of a single 2.5" notebook HDD.
kirby

Return to iMac