<

"This drive has a hardware problem and can`t be repaired" does this mean I need a new hard drive?

"This drive has a hardware problem and can`t be repaired" does this mean I need a new hard drive?

Postby larry » Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 am

I formatted the harddrive and reinstalled Snow Leopard (since that`s
the base requirement for Lion). Strangely after that I got a error
when checking the harddrive in the Disk Utility. It says "This drive
has a hardware problem and can`t be repaired." and S.M.A.R.T. Status:
Failing. The iMac still runs fine, but it would not let me reinstall
Lion due to the disk error.
larry

Postby blakelie46 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:22 am

Probably. You would not always know of any problems, and they tend to get worse gradually. After formatting for the new install it has probably found all the errors that were building up and marked them as bad. your utility and the installer for the new system would see this and report as you are seeing.
blakelie46

<

Postby rorry » Fri May 11, 2012 1:24 am

No probably here. The drive is defective. S.M.A.R.T. status is an electrical-physical assessment, not related to repairing file system errors. Buy a new HDD, and do it soon. Once the drive fails, you will not have any chance to recover files from it.

I admit that S.M.A.R.T. sensors report unreadable sectors as impending failure, when in fact the drive might work at reduced performance for another year or two after the warning, but in general, we accept a S.M.A.R.T. sensors warning as "drive will fail soon" warning, that the failure will be catastrophic, and that all data will be lost immediately.
rorry

Return to iMac