<

Can the ipad wifi internet work while in a moving car?

Postby marven » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:23 pm

im thinking of buying ipad and i was wondering if the internet work while im in a moving car
marven

Postby athelston » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:24 pm

if you pay for the extra 3G network in it from ATT or Verison yes(got to pay extra monthly for it), The wifi not really, unless your standing still in reach of the hot spot.
athelston

<

Postby heanleah11 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 pm

if you pay for the extra 3G network in it from ATT or Verison yes(got to pay extra monthly for it), The wifi not really, unless your standing still in reach of the hot spot.
With WiFi your computer (or iPad) has to negotiate a connection with one wireless router and then start communicating. So, no it won't work while in a moving car.

Mobile phone technology is very different. A mobile phone can just move to another aerial seamlessly, so it will work in a moving car, or a train or wherever. You can get mobile broadband which works like this.
heanleah11

Postby alahhaois66 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Not unless it's compatible with mobile broadband. To access the wifi you need to be within a fairly short distance of the wireless router which needs to be plugged into the phone line to work. This will not work if you are being driven somewhere and your home router is at home.

With mobile broadband it also depends on where you have signal. Have you ever noticed then when tavelling in a vehicle the network coverage on your phone comes and goes and the signal fluctuates? That is what will happen with mobile broadband.

If you are going to get mobile broadband I would suggest T-Mobile. You get unlimited browsing for £15 a month.
alahhaois66

Postby platt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:42 pm

I have an Android e-Pad (nothing similar to iPad) oh simply better, faster, cheaper and well - I can change the OS or upgrade the firmware (for experts only)

But I digress - I live in Burbank Ca and being a resident of Burbank, I am blessed with real guest wi-fi. So, walking around Burbank, with my ePad, my frequency goes up and down - but it does not turn off. Moving to another section will require you to change the setting to a new spot. That is one answer.

But you are asking if your iPad internet work while the car is moving or in motion? Yes and No. Yes it will work if you use tandem (with your cell phone) or purchase a mobile broadband. This fancy little tool will allow you to use your wi-fi as well as allow your friends that have iPads as well to connect to your hot spot. As for the No answer - it is apparent that you do not want to commit to that service or be financially committed. So, you do have two options for wi-fi (City - via Guest such as Burbank CA. Review the links below) or Mobile Broadband. There are others options out there, Sprint, Verizon and At&t have their own method. But you can choose.

Make sure and review what is iPad's best practices.
platt

Postby rigby » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

No.

Wifi hotspots only extend bout 300 feet. So even if you get any signal at all you will pass out of range before a connection can be locked in.What's more, wifi doesn't have any handoff system like cellular towers do, so once you leave one hotspot it won't be able to seemlessly connect you to the next one.

The iPad is kind of a joke anyway: even most mac fans think it's stupid. Instead just buy a cheap netbook or laptop and equip it with a 3G reciever - then you'll be able to get online in a car.
rigby

Postby shaan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Forget about the iPad ... go for the aPad - just about the same thing... I got mine at replicapad.com and it works just the same as an ipad would but it's just 10000x cheaper than an iPad.
shaan

Postby abrahamo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:01 pm

It will but youl be loosing connection every couple of Inches
abrahamo

Return to iPad