<

Cruise ship internet or my own?

Postby algy31 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm going on a cruise next month and need to access the internet because I teach college classes online. I bought an iPad so I wouldn't have to take my laptop, but now I'm quite confused. I have been to both the Apple store and the AT&T store two times each and cannot get a definitive answer.

The AT&T international data plan is $59.99 unlimited. But, will I be able to access their site without having to pay the cruise ship? Obviously I don't want to have to pay twice. Or should I just pay the cruise ship and not AT&T?

It's so frustrating as AT&T & Apple keep pointing the finger at each other. Does anyone have some sound adivce? I'll be on Royal Caribbean in Italy, Greece, and Croatia. Going to an internet cafe will not be an option due to the people I will be with (I won't have an opportunity to do that)

Thanks for any help and suggestions!
algy31

Postby padruig » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Internet access is available on all Royal Caribbean ships. Below is the costs.

"Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)
There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:
A laptop
Windows operating system
802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:
Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:
$35 for 60 minutes
$55 for 100 minutes
$75 for 150 minutes
$100 for 250 minutes
$150 for 500 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice."

Now if you are thinking of using the Ipad on ship as your phone service that is very expensive:

"Q Can I contact people back home from the ship?
A: Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (888) 724-SHIP. Or from outside the U.S. they can call (732) 335-3285. The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to their American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, Discover® or Diners Club®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply.

You can make ship-to-shore calls from your stateroom, 24 hours a day. The cost is $7.95 USD per minute and will be automatically charged to your SeaPassSM account."

You can use your cell phone while in other countries while the ship is in port at no additional charge. So if you buy an international plan you'll have to wait until the ship docks and you can get a signal through a local cell tower. If you do it while at sea you will be going through the ships satellite service at a very expensive cost. I made calls home on my cell phone while my ship was docked in Egypt, Greece and Malta at no extra charge other than my cell's plan.
padruig

<

Postby montaine » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 pm

I believe that you must pay Royal Caribbean. To get the prices, go into Google and put in "accessing the internet on Royal Caribbean". They will list all their packages. You could also call the cruise line and ask your question.
montaine

Postby corrin53 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 pm

You will still have to pay the ship and it is very expensive, especially since it is so slow. Cost me an average of $15. just to send a single short email. If you don't have to be on every day, the best thing is to go to the internet cafes in port. You can usually get an hour for around $5.
corrin53

Postby caroll80 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 pm

You can't access wi-fi or anything on a cruise ship, you need to pay to use the ships Internet service, which is pretty expensive. It would probably be best to try to get as much work done before your trip as you possibly can so you don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money. Maybe you can use your wi-fi in ports of call though... but I'm not sure
caroll80

Postby rees46 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:38 pm

You can't access wi-fi or anything on a cruise ship, you need to pay to use the ships Internet service, which is pretty expensive. It would probably be best to try to get as much work done before your trip as you possibly can so you don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money. Maybe you can use your wi-fi in ports of call though... but I'm not sure
While you are on board a cruise ship, the only way to connect with internet is to go through the ship's service, which is almost always expensive and cannot be bypassed. The ship's fees are in addition to anything you may be paying to your private service provided.

Tinkertoy has, as usual, provided a very good and reliable response. To that I would add the encouragement that you do as much as you can prior to the cruise, post a notice that you will be off line and unavailable until a particular date you name. Don't mess with the computer at all while you are on your cruise, and go have a real vacation. Alternatively, would your school pay for the connection fees? I rather doubt it, but you could ask.
rees46

Postby brexton » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 pm

While you are on board a cruise ship, the only way to connect with internet is to go through the ship's service, which is almost always expensive and cannot be bypassed. The ship's fees are in addition to anything you may be paying to your private service provided.

Tinkertoy has, as usual, provided a very good and reliable response. To that I would add the encouragement that you do as much as you can prior to the cruise, post a notice that you will be off line and unavailable until a particular date you name. Don't mess with the computer at all while you are on your cruise, and go have a real vacation. Alternatively, would your school pay for the connection fees? I rather doubt it, but you could ask.
You will have to buy the ship's wifi if you are at sea. Your ATT connection will work in port, however it will not work at sea - the cellular at sea towers on board the ship are only designed to carry a cellular signal and do not provide data.

So you have two choices:

1. Buy the international data plan and use your internet when you are pulled into port.
or
2. Buy the ship's wifi and use the internet at any time while on the ship.
brexton

Return to iPad