<

How do I communicate with my 35 year old boyfriend who acts like a child?

Postby riocard85 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 pm

While this is fresh on my mind I am going to explain what happened between us last night. I would like to hear some suggestions of how I could have handled the situation differently...

Boyfriend and I were sitting at home watching TV when he ask if I wanted to go play tennis, I did, so we went and played tennis. Now keep in mind that we ARE NOT tennis players, we don't know the rules of tennis, we basically go out there and hit the ball around for exercise. So at one point we had 12 tennis balls on the court. So at one point I said lets just play with one tennis ball so we could chase that one ball all over the court and get more exercise. He reluctantly agreed but SULKED UP SO BAD that I was ready to stop playing. Before, when we were playing with all 12 balls he was in a good mood, laughing and cracking jokes at how terrible we played! After we started playing with 1 ball and chasing it all over the court, FOR EXERCISE which was our main reason for playing in the first place, he completely shut down and would not talk to me. How freakin childish!!! Keep reading there is more...so at this point we have left the tennis court, showered and now we are in bed. He wants to well...you know, have________ and I did too before he acted like a child. I have no desire to have prayer with a 35 year old man that just acted like a 5 year old child. It is NOT a turn on by any means!!!! So fast forward to this morning, he says "I thought you wanted to have prayer last night but instead you laid in bed and played on your Ipad. ....Now typically I would have kept my thoughts to myself and never told him this "It is hard to want to have prayer with a 35 year old (by definition) Man who acted like a 5 year old child" But I couldn't help it, it was the truth. This is not the 1st time he has acted like a child. He does it quite often but I never say anything. After I had said that to him I asked what he wanted for breakfast and he said he didnt want to me make him any breakfast that he would do it himself, so he did and then left for work all pissed off. I just want him to MAN the F UP!!!!

Every time I try to communicate with him on a level that requires us to think like adults he seriously starts singing out loud or barking like a dog just to get me to stop talking to him. I get so frustrated that I just drop the whole conversation for the moment but the unresolved situation just builds up and I eventually explode and that is when he FINALLY listens to me.

So my question is...how do I communicate with a man that acts like a child?
How do I get him to listen to me when I am trying to discuss adult things?
riocard85

Postby shaan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:48 pm

you can't.
why are you living with this. get out and get a life.
shaan

<

Postby neal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:52 pm

He is clearly not an adult. I was going to say hand write him a letter or leave him a recording on an 8-track so he can understand but he's just immature. If you think you can deal with it, more power to you, but you can't manipulate someone into growing up.
neal

Postby all61 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:57 pm

First, take tennis lessons, tennis is a very good sport(playing for 20 years)! Depending on your age, it's hard to say, but. If this isn't what you want in a man, I think you should consider finding someone else. Good Luck
all61

Postby halebeorht77 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Arent you old enough to realize this guy isnt either smart enough or rational enough to have a normal conversation. this is who he is... childish and you can never depend on him to be a man. its not that he isnt understanding you and you arent understanding him. you simply are too good for him. btw - i cant believe u never brought the topic up immediately, the first time he was acting childish.
halebeorht77

Postby quinton65 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:17 pm

You sound like a right b:tch let the boy have his fun.
quinton65

Postby unwyn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:23 pm

You sound like a right b:tch let the boy have his fun.
Talk to him when you are both calm and not arguing, talk politely and just be nice about it. If he persists in being a douchebag then it might be best for you to leave him.

From a guys perspective though, sometimes women can just suck the life and fun out of everything. Maybe he was just enjoying being with you and having fun being silly with 12 balls and then you had to just take the fun out. Try to be more care real, sometimes its good to act like a child...you only live once.

More seriously though, if he continues to act like a child then find someone who appreciates and understands you better, as i said before you only have 1 life to live.
unwyn

Postby bertie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:31 pm

what makes u think anyone gives to f u c k sss? youd gain A* for one of your life - no not in the bedroom, think again - your english skills.

all the best on a S H I T future,
sarah tradgic x
bertie

Postby wain46 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Just be straight up and tell him everything that you feel, that way, he will adjust. I adjust when my girlfriend comes out with what she is feeling. At that time, i feel like, "oh! I didn't realize how this was making her feel" Then, i will try to treat her differently. It's just what happens in most relationships, girl, most men sulk and act like children at times.
wain46

Postby jordi100 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:46 pm

uhm... i might suggest buying some ADHD meds and feeding them to him in his sleep, but that doesn't really solve the problem. it's rather ridiculous that he thinks this behavior is acceptable, because truly and honestly it isn't. he's 35 he needs to grow a pair and quit being so damn closed minded. what you're describing to me sounds like my younger brother when he doesn't take his meds. mind you, this brother of mine is 12 and has been on the meds since... well since he was 8 but at least he's been getting better. if you can't communicate like adults, let him know you're taking him to a park and offer him candy then drive him to a shrink... i dunno, maybe i'm just a little brutal, but it seems like it might be a good idea.
jordi100

Next

Return to iPad