<

Is an ipad as good as a laptop?

Postby arun91 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:06 pm

I need to replace my laptop, will the ipad do everything i need from my laptop? such as emails, internet, documents such as spreadsheets, and notes, also play games?
arun91

Postby rygemann » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:13 pm

No usb, no vga output, no windows, try typing a word document on it for some fun, try playing normal conventional computer games on it... o no wait, theres no cd drive to put the game disc in! and no windows operating system so wouldnt work anyways. no built in (proper non touch screen) keyboard.

Ipad is a good novelty item to own, i suppose, if you already have a laptop, and dont already have an iphone.
rygemann

<

Postby burhbank43 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:15 pm

No. Because it isn't a laptop. It has no Flash support, so any website or web game that requires Flash won't work. As far as any other games... how are you going to install them since it has no optical drive? Spreadsheets... well, I suppose if Google Docs works then you could handle spread sheets.

But since it is not a laptop, but an internet appliance, it will not replace a laptop.

end of line
burhbank43

Postby doughlas » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:23 pm

I believe an ipad will never be as good as a laptop. The only games you can play on it are the apps you have to pay for. It doesn't open documents like excel, word, and ppt docs. You can surf the internet but only with an unsecure wifi connection, if you don't have a wifi connection already (or pay 30 dollars for at&t's).

Ipads are stupid and useless for the insane price you pay. If you really need a laptop that bad, you can get a better laptop for less than the price of an ipad.
doughlas

Postby aden7 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:29 pm

I believe an ipad will never be as good as a laptop. The only games you can play on it are the apps you have to pay for. It doesn't open documents like excel, word, and ppt docs. You can surf the internet but only with an unsecure wifi connection, if you don't have a wifi connection already (or pay 30 dollars for at&t's).

Ipads are stupid and useless for the insane price you pay. If you really need a laptop that bad, you can get a better laptop for less than the price of an ipad.
There's plenty of articles that you can browse - search on "compare ipad to laptop".

It won't burn a CD that you can hand to a client. It doesn't have a standard USB port. It doesn't have Flash. I'm sure there's more. And remember it's Apple-based, whereas your laptop was presumably Windows (or you'd have called it a Macbook), so it won't come with MS Office.

And think about the ergonomics as well. It's bad news using a laptop for extended periods. Now the iPad will generate user problems all its own.
aden7

Postby barre84 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Buy a Netbook or Laptop.

The iPad will complete most of the tasks you state apart from the games. It is not a multi tasking device either. It has not USB or Media Drive. It can be used to transfer images from a camera with the adaptor but other than this the connectivity is restricted.

It is ideal as a travel device this said and the iBooks site is an advantage.
barre84

Postby jessie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:49 pm

I will give you a list of what an ipad don't have or do. Then you be the judge.

No Flash on Apple devices.
You can't plug your camera into an iPad to purchase photos and use them.
No USB ports.
No SD card slot.
No camera.
No real keyboard.
One speaker - in the bottom. Just like the iPhone - usless for music and video that should be stereo
No ROM drive.
jessie

Return to iPad