<

Selling an ipad on craigslist, buyer wants to pay with pay pal?

Postby thronton83 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:48 am

She lives far away and wants me to send it to her cousin in Nigeria. My asking price was $550 (32g) and she wants to pay me $620 + shipping through pay pal......I told here I want the money first because I think it's a scam and she has no problem with it. Should I do it? She is very kind and speaks perfect English......is there any way I can be scammed if I receive the money first?
thronton83

Postby gerrell98 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:49 am

100% SCAM

DO NOT do this - you NEVER give your paypal details to anyone on Craigslist - read their very clear scam warnings http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
If you ignore this you will always get scammed and you lose your money AND your ipad

Paypal does NOT allow accounts in Nigeria due to fraud and you have NO protection from Paypal if you ship to an unverfied address. The scammer pays, you send the ipad, then the buyer files a chargeback. Since you do not have proof the item was delivered to the buyer's verified mailing address (which cannot be in Nigeria) Paypal will ALWAYS refund the buyer's money. It doesn't matter if you have proof it was delivered to Nigeria or even an email telling you to send there. If you do not have proof it was signed for and delivered to the buyer's verified address, Paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer

OR they won't pay you at all but will just send you a baaaaaad paypal notification like this long running scam
http://consumerist.com/2008/10/how-a-nigerian-steals-your-laptop.html

Craigslist is ONLY for face to face, cash transactions. NOTHING else. If you choose to sell to someone who can't meet you, you will get screwed every time
gerrell98

<

Postby beinvenido » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:52 am

If you do use PayPal, make sure to document everything. Get receipts that the item was sent, etc & even take pictures if you have to. PayPal will protect the buyer, so if she wants to scam you she could try to say that it was never received or that it does not work. In that case, PayPal would do an investigation & if you can't prove her wrong, she will get her money back. Good luck!
beinvenido

Postby neo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:06 am

I wouldn't do it personally, but if you get the money through Paypal and then into your account before you ship, I don't think it's possible to be scammed. But do it at your own risk...
neo

Postby carney » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

I would sell it through ebay and give her the link first that way she gets it first. This way there is no doubt that you are selling your iPad and she is paying for that specific item. And Nigeria is far away, who knows when her cousin will receive it.
carney

Postby callum » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 am

I'd say to get the money, check your bank account or credit card...whatever you're using, and withdraw the cash & THEN send the product just to be on the safe side. If you do this and you get the money then you're pretty much safe.
callum

Postby aulay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:33 am

Craigslist has a big warning about this woman. She is a thief. Notify CL about her immediately. She is lying about using PayPal. She contacts 500 people every day about sending things to London or Nigeria.
aulay

Return to iPad