<

What tablet is better for learning disabilities ?

Postby fanuco6 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:45 am

I am thinking about getting a tablet but not sure what one to get and what is better? I have a learning Disablity so i want to use it for taking note and listening and reading books. WHY?

IPad
Surface
Nook
Kindle
fanuco6

Postby dak-ho3 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 am

I recommend the Kindle Fire. This article should help you choose among the tablets:

http://budurl.com/Kindle9Review

Hope that helps.
dak-ho3

<

Postby loc31 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:48 am

The Ipad is popular, it's overpriced for what you get IMHO. You can't get 3rd party apps, everything is through iTunes.

Surface is new, and I also think it's overpriced. But it has the advantage of being Windows-based that makes easy to use to people who have been using Windows based computers, you can also get Office for it, which is nice for school work. It's very good for productivity, but there's not a huge amount apps for it yet as it pertains to entertainment, but there probably will be in the future.

Nook and Kindle are more entertainment-oriented rather than productivity based. However they are comparatively cheap.

You may also want to consider a Nexus or Android-based tablet, they are competitively priced and have tons of apps from any number of sources (you can get apps/programs from anywhere).
loc31

Postby eran38 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:55 am

iPad. It has so much more going for it than the others.

If you have a learning disability you can get a program call Read2Go (19.95) and a real membership to BookShare (https://www.bookshare.org/_/membership/gift) so you have real access to hundreds of thousands of books in an accessible format. These won't generally be college texts, but it will likely be books you'd use in English lit classes. Also has magazines and newspapers. Children's books.

It is a really easy tool to use and is constantly being improved upon. Natural sounding voices for the audio.

Tons of real applications. Yes, you get them from iTunes, but iTunes is real. Office is available for the ipad, but so is Libre Office - which is real.

Interfaces with computer, can use Kindle books (which aren't real).

You can almost do without a computer if you have internet access and no need for extremely complex graphic capabilities. On a college campus you will likely have wiifi available and can use it.

Has a built in camera.

Has a new mini version that is just as powerful and just a slightly smaller format. I have a friend who got a mini and couldn't tell the difference for the most part from their previous (now my son
s) iPad2.

http://techpinions.com/tablets-and-disabilities/11177
eran38

Postby alycesone44 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:02 am

Kindle, Simple easy yo use, user friendly interface, and android based OS.

Kindle Fire Hd :D
alycesone44

Postby blaise38 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:06 am

Tablets are not a need.
blaise38

Return to iPad