<

Can I get a virus on my iphone?

Postby radnor » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am

If I use my iphone to check my email and there is a virus in a msg can I get a virus to my iphone?
radnor

Postby carlo80 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 am

Yes you can have a virus on your Iphone but virusbarrier is now in applestore since few time
carlo80

<

Postby kedric85 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:18 am

It depends on what you mean by virus. Viruses are a very specific kind of malware. There are also trojans, keyloggers, rootkits and a dozen others. People often say virus when they mean malware. There are not any actual viruses for iPhone in the wild right now, though there is malware for jailbroken iPhone, and there are serious security vulnerabilities for both jailbroken and non-jailbroken iPhones. You should follow the same careful practices on iPhone you would on a Windows-based PC (or a Mac or Linux or BSD-based PC for that matter). Avoid opening attachments at all if you can, and never open an attachment that you are not expecting, even from family or friends. If you get an unexpected attachment from a friend of family member, confirm that they sent it by contacting them before opening it. Don't click on links in email or text messages. Keeping any computer platform clear of malware is a matter of being careful.
kedric85

Postby seabright » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 am

Their has been cases of smart phone viruses. Just browse and use things the same way you would on your computer, and you should be virus real. Anyways, as long as you don't do Banking on your phone. What are they going to get, your email? Change the password often or make an email account that you only use for your iPhone if you'd like.

Note: A Standard virus wouldn't work on an iPhone, it has to be one for iOS.
seabright

Postby gerhard76 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 am

There have been sms vulnerabilities (ie: you get a text message and you are screwed) found in the iPhone, but as long as you have iOS up to date you will be fine.
gerhard76

Postby sholto53 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 am

no, unless it is jailbroken and you have installed certain things without changing the iPhone's "root" passwors
sholto53

Return to iPhone