<

Can you use wifi for a desktop computer?

Postby baldric » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 am

I need to get wifi at home for my iphone and laptop, and I was wondering if it can be used for my desktop computer too? If so, is there anything I need to buy?
baldric

Postby darvell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 am

I need to get wifi at home for my iphone and laptop, and I was wondering if it can be used for my desktop computer too? If so, is there anything I need to buy?
I'm assuming you know that you need a wireless router to connect to your dsl or cable modem.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricelow&Ntt=router&Ntk=all&Ntx=AllPartial&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct

For your desktop, you need either an internal wireless card or an external usb adapter.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966871
darvell

<

Postby marcell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 am

Yes. You will need a wifi router and a wifi card (I'd suggest what is called a USB dongle)

Any big box electronics store can set you up with what you need. The dongle may run you 30-50 bucks and the router should run a little more if you don't get anything fancy.

You can buy this stuff online cheaper at

newegg.com
buy.com

I use both those sites
marcell

Postby dealbeorht26 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:10 am

yes !! desktops are not usually meant for wireless use but you can get them to work in wireless you need to purchase a wifi card and install it in your computer !!
your iphone and laptop will get connected to that !
or
a better option would be to purchase a wireless router you can connect it to the desktop with the ethernet cable( wifi is mainly for portable devices ) and the iphone and laptop with wifi !
this would be a cost effective option!!
dealbeorht26

Postby aitor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 am

If your wireless router also has LAN ports, and the router is close to the desktop computer, you would be better off to just get a CAT 5 cable and wire the desktop to the router. It's faster.

If you must use wireless, then you must determine what type of slots you have open in your computer case and get a WiFi card to fit, that also is compatible with your router. But yes it can be done.
aitor

Postby jamilah » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:16 am

If your wireless router also has LAN ports, and the router is close to the desktop computer, you would be better off to just get a CAT 5 cable and wire the desktop to the router. It's faster.

If you must use wireless, then you must determine what type of slots you have open in your computer case and get a WiFi card to fit, that also is compatible with your router. But yes it can be done.
Yes, you need to buy a wireless NIC for your computer and install it...it's very easy to do, shouldn't take more than 10 mins.
jamilah

Postby ayo14 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:20 am

As long as you have a wireless network adapter you will be able to use the WiFi network you set up, something like this -> http://www.trusthardware.co.uk/pp/networks/network+cards+%26+adapters/Wireless+802.11N+PCI+Card.html will work perfectly and is easy to install. Alternatively (if you don't want to be taking your PC apart you can get a USB Adapter like this -> http://www.trusthardware.co.uk/pp/networks/network+cards+%26+adapters/EZ+Connect+g+2.4GHz+802.11g+Wireless+USB+2.0+Adapter.html
ayo14

Return to iPhone