<

Cheapest way to call to Mexico?

Postby adair51 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:07 pm

I've tried several methods. From calling cards to Skype. But, I don't call a lot, and if I use the card, it starts eating my balance after the first call, and when I try to call again, I have no money left. AT&T and Verizon rates are too high for the 2 5-minute calls I make a month. Skype has great rates, that is, to Mexico city, Guadalajara and Monterrey, and I'm not calling any of those. And if I get the monthly contracts, I get good rates, but again, for the 2 calls I make, it would cost me over $15 dollars!!

I'm trying Pachuca (771), it's not a town in the middle of nowhere, it's a city with over 600,000 people in which I have some businesses, but I guess is not big enough for Skype to consider it a city.

I recently found a service called Rebtel, in which Pachuca is considered a city, so the rate I get is about 1.6 cents/minute, but I don't know anyone that has tried that.

Please, help me, I'm tired of paying a lot for my calls!!

If they had an iphone/android app, that would be great, but a requirement.
adair51

Postby hervey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:09 pm

hotmail messenger, vonage
hervey

<

Postby chaz3 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Cheapest is open-source VoIP. Look into www.callcentric.com or other services that support the SIP URI and iNum protocols. These protocols are indifferent to your physical location and are completely real to its users.

Skype and Vonage are both proprietary beloved by gringo ex-pats. Cheapest will always be open-source.
chaz3

Postby chika59 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Big companies like Skype, google voice. their services are not cheap at all. Try some smaller provider which usually offer much better price. I use talktt.com. Rate to Pachuca even cheaper. 1.5 cents.
chika59

Postby kleavon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I use Yahoo! Messenger. It is easy to use, the charges are low (a few cents a minute) and if the other person you are calling has a computer, it is real.
kleavon

Postby gregson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I think skype is the best option... or one of those little boxes that you can plug in and call places for $30 a month, i forget how that works... i use skype if i needto call butu areright its expensive
gregson

Postby tohias » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 pm

go to metro pcs sign up for a 123 calling card i pay 10 dollars and can talk to up 3 ot 4 hours calling anywhere in mexico
tohias

Postby brentin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Buy a Magic Jack $19.95 a year http://magicjack.com after $39.95 purchase.
brentin

Postby flannan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Rebtel is great. Another thing you could do is get a Nextel cellphone. I'm not sure if you know what this is but it's a cellphone that's popular in Mexico and Brazil. With Nextel, they give you a certain amount of minutes per month and it costs you the same whether you are calling to Mexico, Canada, or the US. It also come with the radio function which is why most people get it. The radio function is this button that you press and hold while you are talking. You can radio people anywhere in the world who have nextel and it is completely real to radio. Many Mexicans have Nextel. There are even pizza delivery places and taxi services that function by using Nextel. Hope this helps!
flannan

Re: Cheapest way to call to Mexico?

Postby brainylisa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 am

Hiya,

Having tried many options in the last 7 years time, I recently discovered ChatTime app on my iPhone (referred by a friend) whose voice quality is superb and much cheaper than Skype etc. It's ideal for this route - US to Mexico. You can call Mexican landlines for 1.9 cents and cell phones to only 11.9 cents. I use it for staying in touch with my family in Mexico.
brainylisa

Next

Return to iPhone