<

A good phone for 12 year old?

Postby cormack » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm getting my 12 year old daughter a phone soon and I was thinking about what kind. Yes i know children really shouldn't get mobile phones too early, but shes a pretty responsible kid. I was thinking about an iphone but i heard they break REALLY easy but i know she would want something that high tech. So a good phone recommendation similar to an iphone?
cormack

Postby kyu-bok » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:48 pm

i work for at&t and honestly 12 years old is a perfect age to give your son or daughter her first cellphone. it will give them a new responsibility and will give you a new method of punishing if they ever act up. the iPhone is an OK choice the only problem its an eye catcher for those predators that are waiting for a chance to snatch one. and im not sure if shes a big talker but i suggest you start her with a prepaid plan. she wont be able to go over her minutes and u can control her without you being tied down to a contract for 2 years. check out boost mobile or cricket, unless you already have a plan and your adding her to your account, if so get her the iPhone its not a bad choice and right now att has the 3gs for real. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ADD INSURANCE. also heck out androids there taking over the market..
kyu-bok

<

Postby sugn89 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:59 pm

I think an iPhone would be fine just get her an otter box with it or you could get her an android those phones are good too. I have had both and I like both of them and they are very durable
sugn89

Postby ewyn43 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:04 pm

I would steer you away from iphones, they are known to have various problems.

The 4s has battery drainage issues:
http://www.techieinsider.com/news/13863/battery-drain-problems-continue/

The 4 drops calls and was not recommended by consumer reports:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/200924/consumer_reports_throws_iphone_4_under_the_bus.html

Even Steve Wozniak, co-founder of apple, cannot help but say good things about android:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57360045/apple-co-founder-gripes-about-iphone/

With iphone you do not get Adobe Flash which is required for proper viewing of many websites. Also, memory is not expandable once you run out of space. Android phones have better technical specs and are more customizable than iphone. And despite the Woz saying apple is easier to use, ANYONE can use android, he had to say SOMETHING nice about iphone lol, I know grandmas that learn to use android phones. There is a reason why android is still the top seller in smartphones despite apple selling their iphones for cheap or real, it's because android offers better choices and the system is better than the money hungry apple system.

For example, angry birds is a real app with android, whereas with apple you have to buy it, or use their "real" version which has a big ad that blocks part of the screen getting in the way of game play.

There are many android phones to choose from, go to the store and check them out, the more you pay the more performance you get, but even the lowest models are pretty high tech.
ewyn43

Postby grantland80 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:13 pm

If you want to get your daughter a good phone and think that the iPhone is the only phone out there that can ge dropped and broken you'd be wrong. I have an iPhone and your daughter might be a responsible kid but dropping and losing the phone isn't the only problem. Between texting, talking, games and the internet what a distraction. I never really would have thought that kids need a cell phone but when you're not around or there is an emergency they do come in handy. For a kid of that age I'd get a basic cell phone for her first phone. if she can show you that she is responsible with it and it doesn't get over used or stolen then think of getting her a smart phone later on. Between the cell phone bill and insurance smart phones can carry a hefty monthy fee. Hope it helps and that she loves the phone you get for her
grantland80

Return to iPhone