<

Help with stolen/lost iphone?

Postby rygemann » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Ok i had a ATT iphone and traded some guy on craigslist my ATT iphone for his Verizon iphone. Now before i traded him i wanted to see his id and i got his License number and name and address. Now heres the tricky part. The guy who gave me the verizon iphone bought it from some guy on craigslist who said it was a ATT phone but it wasnt, it was verizon. So now i have a verizon iphone that a guy lost at the Grocery store and this kid found it and sold it to the guy who i traded with. Now i contacted the guy who lost the phone and said i have your phone. Now what do i do cause i dont want to be the odd man out. The guy who traded me said he would give me my att phone back, but i do feel bad for the guy who lost it.
rygemann

Postby garrett9 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 pm

You give the Verizon phone back to the victim. You contact the guy who sold it to you and demand your phone back and get the cops involved if he refuses.
garrett9

<

Postby macallen26 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:38 pm

You give the Verizon phone back to the victim. You contact the guy who sold it to you and demand your phone back and get the cops involved if he refuses.
REason #234761347134714 why I dont use Craigslist!
macallen26

Postby kun46 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Is there anyway you can reach the guy that sold it to you and maybe get your money back? I bet that's illegal- stealing a phone and selling it? Well it's illegal to steal anyway...sorry I'm not much help...
kun46

Postby kerbasi10 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Guess what, the last person with the phone is the odd man out. The person that sold/traded the phone to you, knew what he was doing, which was scamming you out of your phone. The original owner has reported it lost or stolen, so no one can use it, because Verizon will not reactivate the phone, unless the original owner releases the phone (which is not likely to happen, because as far as he is concerned, you are the person that found the phone looking for a pay day.

When dealing with anyone locally or on the internet, ask for the phones IMEI or ESN and call the carrier to see if it has been reported lost or stolen or the bill has been paid (in regards to CDMA phones and their ESN). Sorry you are the last guy in the Trade phones for stolen/lost phones scam, but that is how the cookie crumbles, especially if you don't do your home work to help keep you from getting scammed.

ALWAYS and I MEAN ALWAYS meet in the carrier store if making a buy or trade for a used phone, to make sure the phone can even be sold. Is that a pain in the rump? Yes, but you will find out very fast if they say no, that the deal is not on the up and up.

I have personally used Criagslist and Ebay for local transactions and not once had a problem, but did make sure before making face to face deals that everything I needed or wanted to know was answered first.
kerbasi10

Return to iPhone