<

How do I use WiFi in a foreign country on my Iphone without getting a crazy bill?

How do I use WiFi in a foreign country on my Iphone without getting a crazy bill?

Postby groffudd73 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 am

I already blocked the 3g and the Data but I still received a text message the other day that I know will cost me a fortune. How do I only use the WiFi without using anything else that will charge me.
groffudd73

Postby bhanu35 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 am

1) Turn off data roaming
2) ??? (tell friends/family to email instead of texting)
3) Profit
bhanu35

<

Postby jaran » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:29 am

Take out the sim card.
jaran

Postby german12 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 am

Turn off data roaming. This should prevent you from getting SMS, or voice. If you need to make and receive calls, and SMS, you would want to do the following.

1. Acquire a Google Voice account. This will give you a united telephone number that people will call which will forward to either the cell phone, or Teltub. You would verify your cell phone number first.
2. Acquire a TelTub account. Service will be $5/month (prepaid), but will display the Google Voice number. This will allow you to make SIP calls over wifi and display the Google Voice number.
3. purchase Google Voice, and your favorite SIP client (such as Fring).
4. Authenticate your Google Voice app, and Setup the SIP credentials from Teltub with Fring.
5. Get in the habit of using Google Voice to make outgoing calls while using cellular, and Fring while using wifi.

As for setting up wifi, you would do so the same way as you would do in the US.Just be sure to use AES, or TKIP for security. SMS should come through as data if using Google Voice.
german12

Postby cort95 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 am

Wifi is real to use in most of the countries and there are millions of wifi spots in evey country where you can use it for real , so don't worry about Bill !!! it is password and worried real !! :)
cort95

Postby gavyn91 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 am

You could buy a local sim card cheap and get people to use that number. Or you can use real wifi and send texts real on one of many real sms/text message sites.

You can use one of the real apps listed in the link below to find the password to wifi networks to give your real internet access anywhere!
gavyn91

Return to iPhone