<

My Iphone wont turn on! However when I plug it in it shows a power cord and a lighning bolt! What does that me?

My Iphone wont turn on! However when I plug it in it shows a power cord and a lighning bolt! What does that me?

Postby duke53 » Sat Aug 09, 1997 8:10 am

It sounds like your battery no longer carries a charge. The batteries in the iPhone 3G 3GS will typically last 14-18 months. That's not so great if you have a 24 month contract.Unfortunately, because of the way that the iPhone is designed, once the internal battery stops holding a charge the phone will go into BSOD (Battery Screen of Death - the screen you're seeing) mode and you'll be locked out.

Unfortunately if you take it to Apple, they'll either tell you that you need to send it into apple at a cost of $89+s/h OR (and in my experience, much more likely) they'll tell you that the logic board is dead and that you need to upgrade to the iPhone 4. (That's what happened to me.)

Luckily, it's an easy fix if you're even remotely comfortable using a screwdriver. You can buy the battery on eBay for ~$5+s/h and the whole process take less than an hour.

I made a tutorial and put it on my friend's site to help others who don't like getting gouged by Apple. http://www.my friend's site.com/watch?v=gEmCPPE1-tE

MAKE SURE to watch the video BEFORE you buy the battery because there is such a thing as buying the wrong battery.

Good luck.
duke53

Postby dearborn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:42 am

well, i am guessing your phone's battery is dead!, When you have it plugged in and there is a power cord, with lightning bolt means its charging!
hope this helps!
dearborn

<

Postby captain78 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:27 am

It sounds like your battery no longer carries a charge. The batteries in the iPhone 3G 3GS will typically last 14-18 months. That's not so great if you have a 24 month contract.Unfortunately, because of the way that the iPhone is designed, once the internal battery stops holding a charge the phone will go into BSOD (Battery Screen of Death - the screen you're seeing) mode and you'll be locked out.

Unfortunately if you take it to Apple, they'll either tell you that you need to send it into apple at a cost of $89+s/h OR (and in my experience, much more likely) they'll tell you that the logic board is dead and that you need to upgrade to the iPhone 4. (That's what happened to me.)

Luckily, it's an easy fix if you're even remotely comfortable using a screwdriver. You can buy the battery on eBay for ~$5+s/h and the whole process take less than an hour.

I made a tutorial and put it on my friend's site to help others who don't like getting gouged by Apple. http://www.my friend's site.com/watch?v=gEmCPPE1-tE

MAKE SURE to watch the video BEFORE you buy the battery because there is such a thing as buying the wrong battery.

Good luck.
captain78

Return to iPhone