<

IPhone4 - How long does 1GB of mobile internet last?

Postby vandenberg46 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 am

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading to an iphone for the first time and one of the main reasons is to be able to listen to internet radio on the go - All the price plans for Vodafone (my prefered network) carry 1GB of mobile internet a month. My concern is how long would that actually last? It's quite hard to quantify in my mind
vandenberg46

Postby chaturbhuj » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:40 am

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading to an iphone for the first time and one of the main reasons is to be able to listen to internet radio on the go - All the price plans for Vodafone (my prefered network) carry 1GB of mobile internet a month. My concern is how long would that actually last? It's quite hard to quantify in my mind
Hey, here is a rough idea on data charges for some mobile internet features:

E-mail (1 text page without attachments) 3 KB
Word Document (5 text pages) 70 KB
Typical Web Page lookup 300 KB
Low Resolution Digital Photo 500 KB
PowerPoint Presentation (20 pages text & light graphics) 3 MB

The size of songs and videos are quite dependent on the format they are in, they're bigger compared to what is listed above though.

As for your question on internet radio is hard to determine, does it have visuals? If it does, then you should assume that the data charges is going to sky rocket. My suggestion is to make use of your data counter application (most phones have that) which records all your data transfers. Use that to keep track of your usage so you can switch to a suitable plan at the end of your first month.
chaturbhuj

<

Postby aldrick » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:42 am

Hi,

Hey, here is a rough idea on data charges for some mobile internet features:

E-mail (1 text page without attachments) 3 KB
Word Document (5 text pages) 70 KB
Typical Web Page lookup 300 KB
Low Resolution Digital Photo 500 KB
PowerPoint Presentation (20 pages text & light graphics) 3 MB

The size of songs and videos are quite dependent on the format they are in, they're bigger compared to what is listed above though.

As for your question on internet radio is hard to determine, does it have visuals? If it does, then you should assume that the data charges is going to sky rocket. My suggestion is to make use of your data counter application (most phones have that) which records all your data transfers. Use that to keep track of your usage so you can switch to a suitable plan at the end of your first month.
1 song is probably 2-6MB. Let's use the average size of 4MB each. That's 25 songs per 100MB, so about 250 songs will be 1GB. Are you going to stream that many in one month, in addition to my friend's site, purchase apps, apps that require data, IM programs that require data? I think you would go way over 1GB. Go with unlimited, if you can, at first, and purchase an app that tracks your data usage, and see what you actually used. Then you can downgrade the data plan if you don't actually use too much.
aldrick

Postby josef » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 am

Whatever your purposes in converting diffrent kinds of video to iPhone 4, you can get the method here, so just know how to do it.

you can google Aunsoft iPhone 4 Column to get it

http://www.aunsoft.com/iphone4/
josef

Postby tzefanyah79 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:59 am

In ten days of getting my moto droid. Just watching some of my favorite youtubers ( maybe 3 people ) and constantly using facebook, i used up a gig. So it totally depends on what your using your phone for :]
tzefanyah79

Postby ocunnowhurst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 am

In ten days of getting my moto droid. Just watching some of my favorite youtubers ( maybe 3 people ) and constantly using facebook, i used up a gig. So it totally depends on what your using your phone for :]
That would depend on what you use it for. If you watch videos a lot, it would be expended a lot faster than just browsing a website with text.
ocunnowhurst

Return to iPhone