<

I'm a new iPhone owner...how does wifi/data usage work?

Postby lazarus63 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Does my phone use data usage when using wifi? If not, how do I know when my phone is using the wifi vs non-wifi internet? Also is my phone using a lot of data when I use a navigator app like Mapquest?
lazarus63

Postby cliftun61 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi,

You see what the difference in connectivity is in the top bar right next top your carrier info. If there are the 3 lined antenna logo then you are using the wifi network and not any of the data network of your carrier so you are now basically surfing the web for real.

When there is no wifi available, then your iphone is going to try to connect via either the EDGE network or 3G which have to be configured in the settings> general> network> cellular data network menu in your iphone.

If this is not set to the carrier specific settings, your phone will not be able to connect to the internet at all when not on a wifi network.

All settings can be found per carrier on their websites.

Navigator apps only use the GPS signal in order to get you to your destination and all other number crunching. The only data requirement is optional traffic services. So no, there is very little to no data use when navigating.

I hope I answered your question to your satisfaction and hey, welcome to the iPhone family and enjoy your new phone, cheerz!
cliftun61

<

Postby jerry » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:38 pm

If you're using wifi, you're not using 3g. When you're on wifi, the wifi symbol is on your status bar. When you're on 3g, 3G is on your status bar. You use a ton of data with any navigation app.
jerry

Return to iPhone