<

New iPhone: What does 3G and 4G mean?

Postby etan34 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 pm

What's the difference? I know 3G is a network where you can go online surfing the net right? What is the 4G then? I'm quite new to phones please somone tell me the difference and which one is better? I'm guessing the 4G because they said the new iPhone will have 4G ?
etan34

Postby marchland » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:34 pm

What's the difference? I know 3G is a network where you can go online surfing the net right? What is the 4G then? I'm quite new to phones please somone tell me the difference and which one is better? I'm guessing the 4G because they said the new iPhone will have 4G ?
for help ; open the third & fourth link on : Www.cell-phone-plans.info
marchland

<

Postby kasey11 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:42 pm

The difference in speed is huge.

But you don't even have to think about it at the moment.

There isn't sufficient 4G coverage yet, and there is no point having it since you don't need the speed for current use like talking, emailing and chatting, even surfing is reasonable as it is.

You want 4G when you want to vid cam with someone.
kasey11

Postby deen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 pm

3G and 4G can mean one of 2 things.

G can be short for generation of iPods or iPhones - a new generation of iPhones is released every year around June; iPods come out in late summer.

G also refers to a generation of telecommunications technology for data - Currently most phones are 3G - with carriers offering growing numbers of phones using their 4G connectivity.

It's apples and oranges. Both the iPhone 3 & the iPhone 4 are 3G phones.

The better phone is the phone that does what you want at the price you can afford.

Despite better technology, 4G phones have their disadvantages. The technology is new rather than mature. 4G moves data at higher speeds - and also cuts fown on battery endurance.
deen

Postby alter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:54 pm

It's simply about bandwidth

3G system must provide peak data rates of at least 200 kbit/s according to the IMT-2000 specification

4g must provide 100mb for high mobility (cars/trains) and 1g for low mobility (pedestrian / stationary)

In terms of the protocol that gets that bandwidth, it's up to the providers

Postby hawiovi62 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:55 pm

4G is the same as 3G, just faster. There is no guarantee that the next iPhone will have 4G, sort of doubtful at this point. Depends on how it progresses in the US.
hawiovi62

Return to iPhone