<

Why is my iPhone saying the memory is full?

Postby wiellaford » Sun May 29, 2011 10:55 am

My iPhone keeps displaying an error message claiming the memory is full and advises I delete some photos and videos.

I have plugged it into my computer and on iTunes it says the photos and videos are taking up less than 1gb. When I first plugged it in, the thing which was taking up most memory was 'Other' at approximately 6gb! After a few more seconds it changed and 'Other' decreased to less than 1gb and the space was then taken up by 'Apps'! Since then, when I plug it in, it just stays with the memory taken up by 'Other'.

I have added up the space taken up by the file sizes of the apps and it only comes to 950MB.

I am wondering if there may be a certain app caching lots of data for example? Does anybody know which app may be the culprit? Or if it could be something else causing the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
wiellaford

Postby achban21 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:06 am

Because it's a piece of $&@+ iPhone. That said if you plug it into iTunes and hit restore it should help
achban21

<

Postby woolsey » Sun May 29, 2011 11:13 am

Because it is a piece of Apple crap
woolsey

Postby ackerley » Sun May 29, 2011 11:15 am

That "other" data can be anything; usually its the iOS, but if the amount changes a lot then it could be a corrupt database from an app that isn't storing information efficiently. I can't see your phone from here, so I have no idea which app it could be, and there are more than 3 million apps in the App Store. So it's time to do a firmware restore.

1. Do any app updates you need to do through iTunes.
2. Back up your phone through iTunes and transfer any purchases you've made on your phone to your iTunes library.
3. Copy your photos, voice memos, notes, and sync your calendar, contacts, and bookmarks.
4. Back up any critical information that you need to save if you use apps that can sync data to google documents etc (like a monthly tracker or a grocery list app.)
5. I would sync off any games and apps you don't use often, too, before you restore, so you don't end up just putting the same bad app back on there.
5. Choose "Restore" on iTunes and let it clean out your phone.

After the restore you can chose to set it up as a new phone, or restore from the backup that you just did. If you restore to your last backup, but continue to have this problem, save all of your photos/voice memos/notes etc and then repeat the restore, but this time choose to set it up as a brand new phone.

Good luck.
ackerley

Return to iPhone