<

Do you still get texts when your iPhone is turned off?

Postby cynrik » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:35 am

I have the iPhone 4, AT&T and it is completely turned off for a few days and when I turned it back on I got nothing. I even get my friends statuses sent to me and she updated but when I turned back on...nothing. Why? Will they ever come in?
cynrik

Postby girven71 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 am

Most cell service providers will store incoming text messages when your phone has been turned off and periodically attempt to resend the texts until you can receive them. This period of "attempted redelivery" varies depending on your wireless service. AT&T will try to send the text for three days, Verizon for five days, Sprint for a full week. If redelivery fails after this time frame, it will get deleted. To avoid this try turning your phone on every 2 days or so.
girven71

<

Postby finlay » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:45 am

Well that's more of a network thing than the iPhone. Usually what happens is that it does get delivered, but of course since the phone is off you wouldn't know. Depending on the settings the person who sent the text has on her/his phone, it is set to re-try a couple of times before giving up.
Sometimes though another thing you could try would be to send a text & see if the others would come.
finlay

Postby domo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:50 am

If she said she updated, maybe only then something is wrong with your phone. If not, maybe there were no status updates, and maybe there's nothing wrong. Check your turn off button's settings. Maybe it doesn't allow messages to come in when the phone is turned off.
domo

Postby bryn7 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:03 am

in a way yes but they get to the phone once you turn it on
bryn7

Return to iPhone