<

I'm about to go on a Mormon mission and I was wondering if I could bring my Ipod touch?

I'm about to go on a Mormon mission and I was wondering if I could bring my Ipod touch?

Postby lambart23 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:29 am

I was wondering this because I have the scriptures on my ipod touch and many other lds applications on it that I think could be very helpful on my mission, if anyone knows it would be very helpful because I'm leaving in a couple weeks
lambart23

Postby mylnric » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:33 am

Definately ask your bishop/stake president, present your reasons for wanting it. However, the point of the mission is to fully serve the lord and if your bishop/stake president feel that your ipod touch would be to much of a temptation to do other things, like other apps etc, then I would trust in them and just leave it at home. You may even grow and learn in a way that you may not have, had you taken the itouch. Just remember that your mission is for the Lord and he will help you do everything you need to do, even without an itouch.
God Bless and I hope you have an amazing mission!
mylnric

<

Postby eilam50 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 am

Definately ask your bishop/stake president, present your reasons for wanting it. However, the point of the mission is to fully serve the lord and if your bishop/stake president feel that your ipod touch would be to much of a temptation to do other things, like other apps etc, then I would trust in them and just leave it at home. You may even grow and learn in a way that you may not have, had you taken the itouch. Just remember that your mission is for the Lord and he will help you do everything you need to do, even without an itouch.
God Bless and I hope you have an amazing mission!
There is a rule that you can't have anything with earphones, but if you're not using it for music, it may be fine. It really depends on the individual mission, though. Mine didn't allow anything that could play music (except CD players) or have Internet access. I guess you could take it with you. Worst case scenario, you end up mailing it home. Or you could just not worry about it and take a hard copy of the scriptures. Frankly, you'll need them anyway. As often as missionaries mark their scriptures for teaching or hand them to investigators to read passages, you really can't get away without actual scriptures.
eilam50

Postby courtnay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:46 am

They assign you a phone from the church that you pass between missionary partners.....I figured you'd know that. It's a good way to keep track of you and the people that you're going to speak to.
I like your dedication to your religion. We had 2 great young men on their mission over to our house over a period of 5 weeks back in Nov. of last year. I got a letter 2 days ago from one thanking us many times over again for the notes we gave him and the truths we told him. He is now a christian going to a bible teaching church. His family was very disappointed, but still love him anyway, which is great for him. But it is my hope for you that you will be welcomed into a christian home where the people will take as much time your church allows you to take with them learning real truths your KJV has to offer. Good luck on your mission.

Lol, sorry, I'm just not up on the latest technological gadgets. I guess i figured an ipod was some sort of phone. To answer that for you I would say that there should not be a problem if it will help you be a more effective missionary. Why wouldn't it be allowed? Present your arguements and if they say, nay....then leave it at home. It they are all for it, awesome. I would allow you to if I was in charge, quick access to valuable resources? Heck yes you can....why not!? But they may have some good reasons for you not to bring it. Just ask the questions to the right people.
courtnay

Postby lander31 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:55 am

They assign you a phone from the church that you pass between missionary partners.....I figured you'd know that. It's a good way to keep track of you and the people that you're going to speak to.
I like your dedication to your religion. We had 2 great young men on their mission over to our house over a period of 5 weeks back in Nov. of last year. I got a letter 2 days ago from one thanking us many times over again for the notes we gave him and the truths we told him. He is now a christian going to a bible teaching church. His family was very disappointed, but still love him anyway, which is great for him. But it is my hope for you that you will be welcomed into a christian home where the people will take as much time your church allows you to take with them learning real truths your KJV has to offer. Good luck on your mission.

Lol, sorry, I'm just not up on the latest technological gadgets. I guess i figured an ipod was some sort of phone. To answer that for you I would say that there should not be a problem if it will help you be a more effective missionary. Why wouldn't it be allowed? Present your arguements and if they say, nay....then leave it at home. It they are all for it, awesome. I would allow you to if I was in charge, quick access to valuable resources? Heck yes you can....why not!? But they may have some good reasons for you not to bring it. Just ask the questions to the right people.
It would depend on a few things. Where you are going for example, you may not get service or you may have to pain obscene amounts for data service, or you might get better service than you do at home.

It also depends on your mission president. He's really the one you ought to forward questions like this to. We never had cell phones on my mission, the elders in my ward use them all the time.
lander31

Postby garey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:59 am

Of course you can't !
Actually, you cannot own one at all !
It has the word 'touch' in it, and the 'iPod' bit is an obvious reference to your prayer organs !

You are only entitled to bring information hidden in your hat.
No magnet allowed.
garey

Postby gregson1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:03 am

My daughter's on a mission, and I think that IPod's are allowed but not earphones. You have to be able to play the music or talks without earphones and of course the music and talks must be church related.
gregson1

Postby dontaye » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:10 am

If you ARE able to take it with you, just don't use it to "touch" anyone with it, because the LDS Church frowns upon "contact" between missionaries and regular people.
dontaye

Postby fechin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 am

Nooooo no way. Don't even think about it. Definitely not allowed. You'd best leave it home because missionaries are not allowed to use electronics like that.
fechin

Postby loren43 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:22 am

Does this mean you'll be coming around to bother me? Ok, I'll give you the factual history of the mormons when you arrive, not the sanitised version you've been fed. It's not pretty.
loren43

Next

Return to iPod