<

Can i carry a backpack as my carry on bag?

Postby jefferson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Southwest Continental houston and im flying to las vegas for 5 days. And i want to know if i can carry a backpack for my carry on bag? Can i put my cell phone, wallet, pen, notepad, tickets, ipod, sunglasses, chargers, Tylenol, camera, gum and what about my make up? do i have to put my foundation/make-up remover in a zip lock bag? can i put it in my carry on backpack or my check luggage? does it have to be 3oz?

What about my regular size perfume/shampoo, can i put that in my check luggage? or does it have to be 3oz to put in my check luggage? and what about cigarettes or a light where does this go, backpack or check luggage or neither?

and does my toothpaste/deodorant has to be 3oz or regular size if goes in check luggage?

I'm sorry i never fly on a airplane before this is my first time and i am so confused. thanks
jefferson

Postby haslett37 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm flying Airtran in a bit, and I'm allowed one carry on suitcase and one "personal item" which I guess just has to fit under the seat, I was told by my teachers that the personal item can be a backpack. ALl liquids can only be 3 ounces or less, you can't have two bottles or more of it, I was wondering that. So, if you wanted to bring two 3 ounce bottles of the same liquid its not gonna be permitted. All your liquids or gells have to fit in a quart sized bag for carry on. I'm not sure, but I think if you've got a bigger bag of liquids you'll just have to get it checked which costs money. If you're willing to pay extra, checked luggage can consist of more liquids. Lighters are not allowed on planes, you'll have to check about the cigarettes tsa.gov should help you and tell you the dimensions for carry on bags and such.
haslett37

<

Postby doogan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Yes, you can use a backpack as a carry-on. It just has to meet the size requiremtns and a book-bag size backpack is fine.

For the rules:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
doogan

Postby harlak » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 pm

A backpack is fine to use as a carry-on as long as it fits within the dimensions allowed by the airline (I'm not sure whether you mean you're flying with Southwest or Continental; Southwest allows your carry-on to be up to 50 linear inches [length+width+height cannot exceed 50 inches]; Continental allows your carry-on to be up to 45 linear inches).

Your cell phone, wallet, pen, notepad, tickets, iPod, sunglasses, chargers, Tylenol, camera and gum will all be fine in your carry-on. As for the make-up, if it's a solid (i.e. powder, eyeliner pencil, lipstick, etc.) it will be fine to be just thrown in your carry-on; if it's a liquid, cream, gel, paste, lotion, etc. then it will have to follow the TSA's 3-1-1 rule for liquid carry-ons:
-Each carry-on liquid must be in a container 3.4 oz. or less.
-All carry-on liquids must be placed in a clear plastic one-quart zip-top baggie, to be removed from your carry-on for inspection at the security checkpoint.
-You can carry-on as many liquids as will fit comfortably in the quart baggie (the baggie must be able to fully close and not be in danger of bursting/splitting open).
-For more information: http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm
-This rule also applies to your toothpaste, but not to your deodorant (unless it's a gel, roll-on or aerosol; solid stick deodorant is not considered a liquid).

There is no restriction on the size or amount of liquids in your checked luggage, so any liquids you have that are larger than 3.4 oz. (like your regular size perfume/shampoo) can be in your checked luggage, although I would recommend packing them well so they don't bust open from rough handling by the baggage handlers (I always triple-bag liquids in my checked luggage and pack them in the middle of my suitcase surrounded by clothes).

Your cigarettes can go in either your carry-on or your checked luggage without issue. Lighters/matches are banned in checked luggage, BUT, you CAN have either one lighter (no torch-type lighters; just a common lighter, like one of the cheap disposable Bics) OR one book of matches (NOT the strike-anywhere type) in your carry-on. I always carry-on cigarettes and a lighter and have never had a problem. Here is more information about carrying on lighters/matches:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.shtm

If you have any questions about packing anything else, here is the complete list of prohibited items:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
harlak

Return to iPod