<

Do depressed people make better musicians than happy people?

Postby halliwell » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:43 pm

It seems like the music I like revolves around anger, hate, and depression. I hate listening to "happy music" because I don't feel like it is true. Yeah, you could say I am depressed.
I want to be a musician as well. I play guitar and piano to express my emotions and I draw influence from the darker songs on my iPod. Music is basically what I live for.
halliwell

Postby huntington83 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 pm

It's not depression that makes good music, it's putting strong emotions into song. And those emotions could be hate, anger, sadness, love, passion, freedom,europhia, etc. Music is a way for people (such as yourself) cope with these emotions.

People like to listen to music that relates to how they're feeling, so whether that be angry, dark lyrics, or something happy and light, listeners like real emotion. But it doesn't always have to be dark.
huntington83

<

Postby hristun55 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 pm

people that are a bit "compromised" in general tend to be more sensitive and/or run on higher charged emotions than other. I think that does lend them a more interesting perspective and make a better artist, potentially. there are also plenty of compromised people that arent good for music or much else, I suppose.
hristun55

Postby hakim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:13 pm

people that are a bit "compromised" in general tend to be more sensitive and/or run on higher charged emotions than other. I think that does lend them a more interesting perspective and make a better artist, potentially. there are also plenty of compromised people that arent good for music or much else, I suppose.
Yes,usually.They show more emotions and write deeper lyrics,You can pretty much "feel" the music.People prefer to listen to these kind of lyrics and songs when they can often relate.Most people in the world arent happy.Although there are good songs that are happy.
hakim

Postby anseim96 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

I think it all depends on the listeners perspective. I personally like darker music (Although I do love really happy music too... ska FTW!). Not everyone likes darker music though. The ones who do would agree with you and the ones who don't may like musicians that come off as extremely happy.
anseim96

Postby renaldo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Things such as talent, swagger, ideas etc all are more important for a musician than being depressed or happy. Happy musicians still can write sad songs because they are so easy to write about. In the end I don't think it really comes into the context of how good the musician is.
renaldo

Postby quincey100 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:35 pm

That's right, happy music is just to make money, sad music is real, to express emotions. I love sad-ish song, this is my favourite (northern lights by dream tribes)
http://www.my friend's site.com/watch?v=qWXXWvtgA1Q
quincey100

Postby sadwm24 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:42 pm

There's :
Joy Division
Nirvana
the Cure
Smashing Pumpkins
etc

All sad-ish bands. All beautifully talented.

Does that answer your question?
sadwm24

Postby mace » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:45 pm

There's :
Joy Division
Nirvana
the Cure
Smashing Pumpkins
etc

All sad-ish bands. All beautifully talented.

Does that answer your question?
Welcome to club EMO! Glad to have you....
mace

Return to iPod