<

Dropped my iPod in water and won't turn on?

Postby elroy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:10 am

I dropped my iPod in the sink after I used it but there was hardly any water in it, but now my iPod touch 8gb 2nd generation wont turn on. It turned on for a second a few times, but i couldn't pull the unlock bar across the screen or anything. I'm worried i totally fried it. Is there anything I can do? Is it covered under my warranty? also, i have another iPod (exactly the same but older) that doesn't play sound in the left earphone or speaker anymore. any clues on that? thanks
elroy

Postby frey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 am

I dropped my iPod in the sink after I used it but there was hardly any water in it, but now my iPod touch 8gb 2nd generation wont turn on. It turned on for a second a few times, but i couldn't pull the unlock bar across the screen or anything. I'm worried i totally fried it. Is there anything I can do? Is it covered under my warranty? also, i have another iPod (exactly the same but older) that doesn't play sound in the left earphone or speaker anymore. any clues on that? thanks
Firstly try placing it on a towel, and then on top of a radiator overnight, to make sure there is no moisture still inside. If that doesnt work there is damage to one of the components.

From how you described how it happened it doesnt seem all that likely that enough water got in if the sink was empty, if it was a full sink and the ipod became submerged in water, even for a moment there was most likely damage caused.

If so your best bet is an electronics repair shop. You could try yourself if you have the tools (they can be picked up pretty cheap, as they come with the ipod screen replacement kits) and the know-how, but if you dont know what your looking for and how to repair circuit board components and the like, goto a repair shop ;)

Also, i forgot to mention, if the fall was from a sufficient height, it may have become damaged that way and knocked something loose inside, and would have nothing to do with water.
frey

<

Postby brewer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:20 am

As for the first iPod, I suggest dipping it in rice. And if that doesn't work, then you could use a hair dryer on a low setting after wrapping it in a THIN towel or rag, and not for too long. If that doesn't work maybe try some of these other people's ideas. Or first, I would take it to a store that honors iPod and have them tell you what to do, for some of these home remedies could be dangerous, because right now you might have a chance of saving it. And if you DO NOT have a warranty, I suggest you leave and try home remedies. As for your second iPod, that sounds like a headphone issue. Try some new headphones, and make sure they are plugged all the way in your ipod. Good Luck.
brewer

Postby iustig » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 am

first of all u probably broke the first one and the second one just solve your problem by buying new head phones :)))))
iustig

Postby patten59 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:32 am

first of all u probably broke the first one and the second one just solve your problem by buying new head phones :)))))
try to put it on a vent or in some rice. :)
patten59

Return to iPod