<

Extend ipod touch's wifi span? (techies)?

Postby burnie44 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Alright so here's the situation. I'm currently living in a house with no wifi (no router) but the next-door neighbors have wifi. I can only use it if I go outside. Besides wanting to access the neighbors wifi inside it's also just fun research. I want to know if any materials can work as an antenna or extend the antenna? If there is any ideas that'd be great just to get me started on figuring this out. Again, for the most part i just think it'd be cool to fix up my iPod some how rather than not wanting to buy a router and pay for wireless Internet. Any ideas or further knowledge on wireless Internet appreciated :)
Mark
burnie44

Postby gorman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm

It's all about the router broadcast strength. Not the iPods wifi antenna. Nothing you can do besides creating a parabolic dish made out of tin foil. *Kind of like a big metal bowl that the iPod would be in the center of.

What this does is bounce the signal that would normally travel past the iPod back to it. This won't work as well as you think though due to harmonic cancellation. (signal starts to cancel itself out).

Hope this helps.
gorman

<

Postby richman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Not for an iTouch.

The problem is the antenna is internal, and you would have to disassemble the ipod and attach a larger antenna. Do you really want to have a 6" antenna hanging off the side of your ipod?

Besides, what you are doing is considered THEFT and can get you in a world of trouble.
richman

Return to iPod