<

How to find out someone else's wifi password?

Postby lex87 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:06 am

I'm at my grandpa's house for vacation. He was wireless internet, but he doesn't have a laptop or anything that HE needs to connect to the internet, just a pc. So he of course doesn't know the wifi password. I need the password for my iPod touch, but i have no idea what it is either. I know for sure that the password isn't password. he changed it. But is there anyway that i could find it out from the computer, or possibly have it emailed to him?
lex87

Postby carol10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:07 am

If he doesn't know the password he most likely has WEP security, as that is default on many routers. If he does have WEP security then when you try to log in it should ask for a WEP key.

The easiest way to find his WEP key is to find the room where his router is, look at the back of his router, look for the WEP key that is on a sticker, write it down and enter the password next time you try to connect to the internet.

As a last resort you could also hold what is usually a reset button on the back of the router, which would clear any security put in place, however doing this could fudge up the settings for his router.

If he has WPA or WPA2 security then your pretty much screwed. There's also illegal ways of getting wifi passwords but, hopefully the rest mentioned above should be sufficient.
carol10

<

Postby algrenon73 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 am

You need to ask him or find someone that is familiar with wireless routers and networks to reset it without messing up everything.
algrenon73

Postby mylnburne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 am

Well young lady it is very technical but lemme tell it to you......still u NEED ur granpa.......On the back of the router, there is a reset button...hold it for about 10 seconds until the router is reset...then using the network cable, connect it to ur grandpas PC and enter the IP Adress...then u can help ur self to configure the setting and set up WiFi!!! G00D Luck and lemme warn ya.....Dont try this if u cant....it WILL take a Loooooooong time to set it back again if u do ANYTHING wrong........G00d Luck!!!
mylnburne

Return to iPod