<

How do I find the password(s) to my WiFi on my Netopia Wireless USB Router?

Postby franklynn84 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:24 am

I have a wireless USB Netopia router and it's plugged into my computer's tower. I want to use the password to use it on my iPod but don't know how... There are numbers, letters, and words on the back.... What do I use as a password? (On the back it says ''Model'', ''P/N'', ''S/N'', ''MAC'', and ''FCC ID'') Any help? Thanks!
franklynn84

Postby manville93 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:28 am

My best guess would be FCC ID, although that could mean something totally different. Beyond that, the likeliest place to find your encryption key (not really a password) is in your router's admin pages. Exactly where in those pages varies from brand to brand. If you don't have a router, the following should apply to your modem itself.

Basically, to get into the admin pages, do this:

1. On a computer connected to a wired port on your router (wireless access to the admin pages should be turned off as a security risk), enter the router's local IP address in your browser's address window.
2. Poke around, especially under wireless security, until you find the encryption key. Copy it down EXACTLY. Copy-and-pasting it into a text file (Wordpad is generally best because it's on almost all Windows machines) is even better, as it can be copy-and-pasted from there into whatever needs it. When you see it, you'll understand why this is a good idea.

To find your router’s IP address in Windows:

3. Click on the Start->Run button.
4. In the text box, type

cmd

and press Enter.

5. A black "DOS box" will pop up. In it, enter

ipconfig /all

A bunch of gibberish will fill the box. Next to "Default Gateway" an IP address will appear. This is your router's IP address.

Hope that helps.
manville93

<

Postby gwynfor63 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:32 am

P/N = part number
S/N = serial number
MAC= MAC address
You log into the menu from you PC and find the password, you can purchase a pdf manual from the manufacturer now you have F/N and S/N?
gwynfor63

Postby britton » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 am

Are you trying to connect to the routers WiFi signal? For that, you will have to ask the person who set up the router. They put a password on it and it can be anything they want. You'll need to know 2 things in order to connect - First, the SSID name - that's the name of the network that is broadcast out so that when you look at your list of available networks, you see it. One catch, the person setting up the network may have set that network name to not broadcast - a small layer of security. So, make sure you know the network name. Second, you'll need to know the security type and password selected. THey may have set up the network without security but probably chose a security scheme like WEP - you will need to know the type of security employeed and the password.
britton

Postby rae » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:43 am

Are you trying to connect to the routers WiFi signal? For that, you will have to ask the person who set up the router. They put a password on it and it can be anything they want. You'll need to know 2 things in order to connect - First, the SSID name - that's the name of the network that is broadcast out so that when you look at your list of available networks, you see it. One catch, the person setting up the network may have set that network name to not broadcast - a small layer of security. So, make sure you know the network name. Second, you'll need to know the security type and password selected. THey may have set up the network without security but probably chose a security scheme like WEP - you will need to know the type of security employeed and the password.
if you have the password for the wifi on your computer setup in a wireless network then you can use a real software tool that gives you all sorts of information about your system called SIW. Just do a google seach for it and you'll find it. Listed under the Secrets tab you will find all the passwords that are used on your computer for websites, msn messengers, and wifi accounts. You can get the password from there, or you will need to talk to whoever set it up to get the Wifi Password, or log in and change the Wifi Password. The other option if it's WEP encryption would be to hack the password. As this is your router and your equipment there is nothing illegal about that. However I will not give you any hints or tips on how to do this.
rae

Return to iPod