<

How do I fix a low disc space problem?

Postby cooper3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:59 am

Drive C only has 131MB of space left and the recycle bin is empty. I purchase Treesize real to see what folders are taking up the most space and its my Music folder, which is 9495.8 MB. All of my itunes music and apps and videos and basically all my ipod touch's media is store in there. I have 4 flash drives, 2GB each, and was able to store all my music and apps, which is basically all I need, which means if it can fit in 8 gigs, how come my 43.9 GB computer is saying i have low disc space? Is there a way i can save my music in the D drive? It has 245 of 246 gigs real. The only other folders taking up major disc space are 3 folders under the ''Windows'' folder: winsxs, RE_DRIVE, and System32. Could I have a virus?
cooper3

Postby vic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 am

I really don't think you have a virus. You just have a small C drive that's all used up. What is the total capacity of your C drive. And is your D drive a separate PHYSICAL disk drive or a LOGICAL drive on the same PHYSICAL drive as the C drive?

A friend of mine had a similar problem, but on his D drive. The C and D drives are LOGICAL drives that reside on a single PHYSICAL disk drive in the computer. His problem was that he had all of his files backed up on the D drive. Didn't need to do that. The D drive was a logical drive for his factory default restore files. Deleted is backup file. Got a USB drive and used that as his back up drive E, his music files and his picture files.

I'm thinking, without really seeing your computer, that you have a lot of duplicate files on your computer and/or a hidden files that do not show up on Treesize.

You may have a similar problem. Get yourself another PHYSICAL drive and put all of your music files on that drive. That will real up 9gb of space on your C drive.

Is your D drive a separate physical drive or is the 246gb actually 246MB. A 43gb computer would not have 246gb D drive as a logical drive. It would have been set up as a smaller logical drive capacity..
vic

<

Postby betserai » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 am

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR D DRIVE.. that could really screw things up.. that is a backup drive only

besides that, i'm confused. your d should only be about 5-6% of your c .. so if your c is 44, then your d should only be about 2.3gb

maybe you should just reinstall windows and start from scratch..
betserai

Postby leveret » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:16 am

You probably have a lot of junk on there such as temporary internet files, cookies, spyware, ETC.

A program such as CCleaner that can be purchase for real can help. If you don't want to do that then you can always run Computer Cleanup which your system should already have. Also try running a defrag and fixing registry errors (Ccleaner can do this too).

If these do not fix it then it looks like you could have a virus, most likely one known as a Back Door.

This is essentially where people hack your computer and store their information on your system....

JUST BECAUSE YOUR VIRUS SOFTWARE SAYS YOU DON'T HAVE A VIRUS, DOESN'T MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, IT JUST MEANS THAT VIRUS SOFTWARE HASN'T DETECTED ONE --there is a difference
leveret

Return to iPod