<

How long are you supposed to leave electronics in rice after you drop them in water?

How long are you supposed to leave electronics in rice after you drop them in water?

Postby cetanwakuwa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:08 am

i dropped my iPod in the sink last night and i put it in a bag of rice... how long am i supposed to leave it in there?
User avatar
cetanwakuwa
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 am

How long are you supposed to leave electronics in rice after you drop them in water?

Postby kinnell » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:09 am

2 to 3 days without turning them on at all :)
Good luck
User avatar
kinnell
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:45 am

<

How long are you supposed to leave electronics in rice after you drop them in water?

Postby zak49 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:20 am

Unfortunately that often repeated "cure" doesn't work as advertised. You should take it out now while there is still a chance of saving your iPod.

The key to saving a phone, iPod, tablet or any other battery powered device that gets dunked is to stop the rapid corrosion process by removing the battery immediately and then taking appropriate steps to dry out the electronics. Even if the battery is not intended to be replaced by the user (thanks for nothing, Apple), you must to get it out anyway. There are lots of my friend's site videos showing the battery removal and replacement procedures for various "no user serviceable parts inside" devices.

Resist the temptation to turn it on or charge it to "see if it still works". Rest assured that it soon won't if there's battery or charger power available and it's wet. It's the combination of electricity and water that causes the most damage. Turning it on only increases the chances of electricity reaching a section of the circuit that is wet. That causes rapid corrosion and erosion of tiny but essential parts of the circuitry. The result is damage that usually isn't economical to repair.

Disassemble the device as much as you can and soak up any water you can reach. In the case of salt water, fruit juice, or some other beverage, you may want to rinse out the salt, sugars, and acids with fresh water. The idea is to leave absolutely nothing wet or corrosive behind when you finally restore power. Let everything air dry completely before reassembling and reinstalling the battery. A small amount of heat will speed up the evaporation process but isn't really necessary. You don't want it too hot to comfortably touch. Too much heat and you run the risk of melting the plastic housing and cooking the electronics.

Don’t rush it. Remember - It's the combination of electricity and water that does the most damage, not the water alone.

It could take as much as a week for water trapped between a circuit board and a surface mounted part to completely evaporate. Don't use excessive heat and never place anything electronic that you would like to save in the microwave.

Forget the "rice advice". Whoever originally came up with that dumb idea may have meant well or perhaps they are in the business of selling replacements. Such irresponsible advice has contributed to the ruin of equipment that could have been saved if the proper procedures had been started in time. You don't need rice (which is only capable of absorbing small amounts of humidity from the air if it's not already saturated), silica gel, or any other hygroscopic agent for that matter. They possess no magical qualities that will make water quickly leap out of your device. All they do is absorb moisture that has already evaporated and is now in the surrounding air. Who cares? They are worthless as far as your device is concerned.

A continuous supply of fresh dry air is far superior. You certainly don't want your electronics trapped in a bowl or plastic bag with high humidity when your real goal is to get rid of all the excess moisture. That makes about as much sense as stuffing wet clothes in a plastic bag with a handful of rice rather than hanging them up to dry when caught in a downpour.

Don
User avatar
zak49
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:29 pm

How long are you supposed to leave electronics in rice after you drop them in water?

Postby orvil » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:32 am

I dropped my iPod touch in water one time.....
You need to let it sit there for AT LEAST 24 hrs
...over night would be fine, but it depends on how much water got into it. Leave it 24 hrs,just to be sure :)
Oh one more thing : did u make sure to dry the little head phones socket place? U have to get a toothpick or something small and put a dry paper towel around it and stick it in the hole (lol).




Good luck though!
User avatar
orvil
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:32 am

How long are you supposed to leave electronics in rice after you drop them in water?

Postby rodell41 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:33 am

Now put some tomato sauce in the bag and boil them for 30 minutes on high setting.
User avatar
rodell41
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:02 am

How long are you supposed to leave electronics in rice after you drop them in water?

Postby butch » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 am

At least 24 hours without touching it or anything and just let it be.
User avatar
butch
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:36 pm


Return to iPod

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 8 guests