<

How long does an Ipod Nano usually last? as in life expectancy?

Postby guang » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:07 am

I've never owned an Ipod before, so I'm kinda new to them. Anyway, my friend said I could have his old Ipod Nano third gen. for twenty bucks, not a major purchase, I'm just wondering how long I can expect it to last. It's been cared for kind of average. When do the batteries usually start giving out on those things?
guang

Postby adney32 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:09 am

I got my third gen for my birthday when that version first came out (September 2007) and I still have it. It works very well, considering the immense wear and tear I've put it through by dropping it. It still charges normally and has a good battery life (several hours, if I charge it overnight for a trip it can last like 6-8). You may have to replace the headphones every one in awhile, but that says nothing of the actual iPod. Buy it, your friend is really offering you a good deal. The square design was by far the best Apple came up with and it gives you nearly all of what that newest generation does. You can likely expect it to last you at least a few more years.
adney32

<

Postby bromly7 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:16 am

Id say about ten years if you treat it well. I still have the very first nano and i got it when it first came out like five or six years ago. Works like a charm.
bromly7

Postby kennelly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:19 am

Extend Your Battery Life
If you want to extend the battery life of your iPod for any given charge cycle, you may conserve power by following these tips.
Hold and Pause It may seem obvious, but set the Hold switch when you aren’t using your iPod. This will prevent iPod controls from inadvertently waking up iPod and using unnecessary power. Also, if you are not listening to iPod, pause it, or turn it off by pressing the play button for two seconds.
Optimize Your Settings There are a few features that use your iPod battery more quickly. If you don’t use these features, your iPod will play tunes longer.
Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi consumes power even if you are not using its features to connect to a network. You can turn it off to save power. Go to Settings > General > Network > Wi-Fi.
Backlight: Setting the backlight to “always on” will significantly reduce your battery life. Only use the backlight when necessary.
Equalizer: Adding EQs to playback uses more of your iPod processor, since they aren’t encoded in the song. Turn EQ off if you don’t use it. If, however, you’ve added EQ to tracks in iTunes, you’ll need to set EQ to “flat” in order to have the effect of “off,” because iPod keeps your iTunes settings intact.
Minimize use of third-party applications: Excessive use of applications on iPod touch, such as games that prevent the screen from dimming or shutting off, can reduce battery life.
Fetch new data less frequently: Applications on iPod touch such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.
Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account on iPod touch such as Yahoo!, MobileMe, or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push mail when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your iPod touch based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.
Turn off push notifications: If you have apps installed on iPod touch that use push notifications, you can turn them off for some or all apps. Go to Settings > Notifications and set Notifications to Off to turn off all push notifications. The push notification settings for each app also appear here. Select the app and set specific notifications to Off.
Maximize Your Memory iPod plays music out of a solid-state memory cache to provide skip-free playback and maximize battery life. iPod spins its hard drive to
Paying attention to just a few commonsense pointers will pay off with a longer battery lifespan and battery life for your iPod. The most important thing is to keep your iPod out of the sun or a hot car (even the glove box). Heat will degrade your battery’s performance the most.
Some Terms You Need to Understand
“Battery life” means the time your iPod will run before it must be recharged (sometimes this is also called “playtime” or “runtime”). “Battery lifespan” means the total amount of time your battery will last before it must be replaced.
iPod Temperate Zone. Your iPod works best from 32° to 95° F. You should store it in environments of -4° to 113° F. That’s 0° to 35° C and -20° to 45° C for the metrically inclined. Keeping your iPod as near room temperature as possible (72° F or 22° C) is ideal.
hope it can help you ,more ipod problems,view here:
http://www.softwarebbs.com/wiki/Tansee_iPod_Transfer#More_about_ipod
kennelly

Return to iPod