<

How do you set up a wireless router without having to connect to a computer at all?

How do you set up a wireless router without having to connect to a computer at all?

Postby barak » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I will be getting a Netgear router soon and I will also be replacing my computer at the same time. I looked up instructions to set up a Netgear router and I noticed that I must go through the process or hooking up my modem to my router and my router to my computer. I just don't feel like doing that because it seems like such a pain. My question is weather it is possible to set up my router through a wireless device such as a laptop or iPod touch. By using my iPod I was able to access the settings for a friend's router and change them. Can I just set up my router this way or do I HAVE to use a computer? Any answers are appreciated. Thank You
barak

Postby smythe30 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

I will be getting a Netgear router soon and I will also be replacing my computer at the same time. I looked up instructions to set up a Netgear router and I noticed that I must go through the process or hooking up my modem to my router and my router to my computer. I just don't feel like doing that because it seems like such a pain. My question is weather it is possible to set up my router through a wireless device such as a laptop or iPod touch. By using my iPod I was able to access the settings for a friend's router and change them. Can I just set up my router this way or do I HAVE to use a computer? Any answers are appreciated. Thank You
So long as you can browse to the router, obviously you can change the settings. I doubt you will be able to though.

How much effort does it take to quickly connect a PC and set it up once? Just plug it in next to your PC or attach your laptop?

Generally, routers are set at default with wireless disabled for obvious security reasons.How will you know the SSID, method of encryption or passcode of the new router (completely separate to the administrator default passcode)? You won't, as it will likely have wireless disabled - otherwise people would just use wireless out of the box and there would be leeching chaos!.
smythe30

<

Postby thorpe44 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi There,
My advice is to take the time to read and follow the instructions for setup.
You will save time and frustration in the long run.
Everything is designed to operate in a certain way and you really should set up your SSID and security if you live close to a neighbor.
If you live in the country and do not need security then you probably can just connect everything but you will still need to set up your computer (unless you are using an ethernet cable).
Hope this helps,
Al
thorpe44

Postby alfrid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 pm

In order to do that, you must turn your wireless Router into a REPEATER. This way , the device can function independently without being connected to a PC or a Modem.
Do a research on how to turn your router into a repeater.
alfrid

Postby asa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm

You can, but it's tedious. For example, when you change the wireless network name, you will get disconnected and have to reconnect using the new network name.
asa

Postby baul » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:53 pm

You hook the router up to the modem. I dont think you always have to set it up on the computer i didnt have to...

Check site below it is helpful
baul

Postby cinese » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Usually you can. This of course is implying that it does not come encrypted. If it does then yes you have to hook it up to your computer first to get the default password.
cinese

Postby trumbald » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Usually you can. This of course is implying that it does not come encrypted. If it does then yes you have to hook it up to your computer first to get the default password.
You have no choice. For first-time router set-up you need to connect with a pc to set-up wireless options.
trumbald

Return to iPod