<

What sort of punishment should a 10 year old get when caught smoking weed/pot?

Postby ekhard » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:50 pm

I just caught my 10 year old son smoking a joint in his bedroom when he was supposed to be cleaning it. I'm completely beside myself as far as a good punishment is concerned. I already told him he's not allowed to go on Facebook for the rest of the night but I feel something else needs to be done about him smoking weed at such a young age. I was 12 before I started smoking cigarettes and when I was caught at the age of 14, my father made me smoke the entire pack and get ill so I knew to quit. I know he listens to a lot of that Snoopy Dog rapper guy and he likes to promote smoking weed and other gangsta stuff. Besides losing his ipod and Facebook privileges for the night, how should I punish this kid(he claims he borrowed the joint from my husband's stash but he claims he isn't missing any so he's also lying to me).
ekhard

Postby wynn99 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Dealing with a child who is not following the rules is an extremely difficult thing, and finding ways to manage it appropriately can be equally as difficult. It is great that you are looking for new methods of discipline to help get the problem under control. A lot of time with children and teenagers, a system of rewards and punishments can be very useful. Make sure to set clear rules and guidelines about what will and will not be tolerated. Take away a privilege such as a phone or time with friends when these guidelines are not followed and do not return that privilege until your child has proven that they can follow the rules. Personal items and activities are very important to kids and removing those things can have a great impact. Also make sure to praise your child for the positive things they are doing, this helps to encourage positive behaviors!!

If you or your child want to talk or need some advice, please call one of our counselors at 1-800-448-3000. We are youth/parent crisis line and are here 24 hours a day 7 days a week to help. We look forward to hearing from you!!

Take Care,
AC, Counselor
Boys Town National Hotline
wynn99

<

Postby alleyne » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I would take away all of his privileges; computer (including facebook), ipod, TV, etc. for a week.
Plus I would take away the CD's(my child wouldn't be listening to that kind of crap anyways), for good, and I would make him sit in his room (without anything but a paper and pen) and tell him he has to write why smoking pot is so bad for you.
alleyne

Postby bergh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 pm

If that was me in your shoes i would not hesitate to get my kid in the car, drive his a$$ to the police station and let him have a nice long talk with an officer, so he can witness first hand what his life would be like if he continued down the pot smoking road.
bergh

Postby lyndon91 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 pm

If that was me in your shoes i would not hesitate to get my kid in the car, drive his a$$ to the police station and let him have a nice long talk with an officer, so he can witness first hand what his life would be like if he continued down the pot smoking road.
When I was a kid, my parents caught me with cigarettes and weed. They took me to Juvenile Detention for a night as a delinquent out of parental control. They came and got me the next day and I did learn my lesson.
lyndon91

Postby weston2760 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Wow ! Hes young..he shouldnt be allowed to go out, he should have a curfew, no more fone, no tv, no music & if you want him tocstop you could drug test him
weston2760

Postby brandeis49 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:16 pm

monkey see, monkey do...
ask your husband...
your son needs counseling more than punishment...
brandeis49

Postby skelley » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:28 pm

No TV,friends over,give chores,don't give in.Make sure he knows this is serious.
skelley

Postby jamiel45 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Make him lose the game.
jamiel45

Postby daylan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:39 pm

he sounds like a good kid leave the little rascal alone!
daylan

Next

Return to iPod