<

Why are poor people some of the most happy people in the world?

Postby atlantis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Well I am 13 and you may think this is a silly question but its true like people in india and places like that who are poor are most happy than people in the uk because if they fond 1p on the floor or 5p they would be greatful but were as we would throw that sort of money on the floor. and in our country people always want more and more and when they get what they want such as a ipad,ipod, or whatever they are not as happy with it as they were when they first got it.so why is this. ts really confusing.

PS we learn about this in school today so do you agree with me or not?
atlantis

Postby sydney » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Because its like different cultures, even though America is diverse. But Americans are never happy with what we have, money is everything. We can live without it basically. When a person has money, they have power. People like power, so that means screw everything else to most americans. Screw the family, screw the poor people, etc. India on the other hand is a more poor country. They arent so high tech like us Americans, so they are sometimes more poor, and they look for the beter things in life. Americans do not, money is happiness to some of us.

Also 13
sydney

<

Postby fynn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Wealthier people live in more complex societies where there is more to worry about. Think of all the difficult issues we must deal with. Compare that to the concerns of an African goat herder.

But plenty of poor people are miserable. People in ghettoes with broken homes and abusive families, etc.

Poor people in rich societies have the misery of comparing themselves to the more successful people around them.

I heard about a study suggesting that, worldwide, money actually does increase happiness until you reach an annual income of I think about US$8000.

I've read other articles suggesting that young, rich, religious people are the happiest.

So it's hard to know what to believe.
fynn

Postby ricard67 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Well, that's a bit generalized, but I know young people generalize a lot. And I know what you are talking about. Poor people are content, if they don't require much from life and they have that which they require. People who have more are less content, if their requirements for being content are to have more than they have.
ricard67

Postby corbyn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:50 pm

because poor people find drugs easier
corbyn

Postby montaigu » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:01 pm

If you have less of something then you will appreciate it more because it's precious and wasn't obtained easily, as opposed to having anything and everything whenever you want - it wont be as precious because it's easily obtained. But that doesn't necessarily make one more/less happy.
montaigu

Postby truitestall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:08 pm

I agree and I think its because porr people arent as attached to things like we are they dont need things like video games because it doesnt really help them at all
truitestall

Postby jie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Yes I agree. There only one thing worried by the poor: fulfilling basic needs (food, clothing, place to live).
jie

Postby wintanweorth17 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Wow, you are very mature for 13 :) Poor people, people who dont have much are more appreciative of what they have, you are right. People who have alot are never satisfied with what they have and always want more
wintanweorth17

Return to iPod