<

Why do I hate loud noises and loud people?

Postby eadward » Tue May 22, 2012 4:18 am

When I am stuck in a class for hours, with loud people that talk about nothing of substance (no offense here), people who made animal noises, just unnecessary chattering, I can't help but get irritated. It's as if my equilibrium is being threatened. I try very hard to tolerate loud, boisterous and in your face people but I can't help but squirm or be disgusted by these people. I'm sure they are nice people but why do they have to be so loud? I like quiet people or people that know when to stop talking (about 90% of the time) I really dislike going out with friends, and if I do go out I don't stay out for more than 30 minutes (bars.. house parties etc.) if I do go out its with 2 people max and we will go to a cool diner or restaurant, I usually ask to be seated away from people because I really don't like chatter. I like to spend about 90% of my time doing solitary things, or with my twin sister, I get a real sense of joy and contentment when I am by myself, in my room, cleaning, decorating, or researching! I really love research, I do it on my spare time, it sounds really lame.. most people will say "I love spending time with friends." No, I love staying in and relaxing researching.

I hate malls, I do my BEST to not go into any malls way too many people lol... my favorite hangout is at home, in my room, the library, or somewhere in the city usually alone. I really cannot be around large groups of people for long, high school was a little challenging for me - being in class with 10+ kids, I normally skipped a lot/felt bored because I couldn't concentrate, got easily distracted by the constant boisterous chatter, and my teachers (with the exception of 2 who understood my needs) encouraged my peers to be loud and distracting. When I DO attend class its no more than 45 minutes tops, I do really well in quiet environments, I can only tolerate noisy surroundings if I have my ipod on, or if I glued in a book.

Is there something wrong with me? I don't have 'agoraphobia' i don't fear people, I just get really antsy, and i feel like my inner me has been disrupted around loud people and lot's of them. When I go to work I prefer not to be disturbed, I usually find a way to not be noticed by people but they come by and chat with me anyway...

Do you guys think there is something inherently wrong with me? When I was younger I was very "popular" "social" but as I grew up I noticed I liked to be alone. A lot! Everyone will assume I was depressed but the truth was I was thriving off of the solitary and only enjoyed the company of minimal people.
eadward

Postby saul47 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:20 am

Certain people really are super-sensitive to ordinary stimuli. Loud noises, strong odors and tastes, flashing lights, neon colors, and even rough touching distress them greatly.

There's nothing wrong about that. Some youngsters who are on the "autism spectrum" display these sensitivities, and react strongly to stimuli that most people take in stride. However, plenty of normal people react this way too.

There was a 19th-century French writer who was so sensitive to noise that he had his writing room covered in cork sheeting as sound insulation. Most super-sensitive people arrange their home environment for as much serenity as possible, and endure the stresses out in the world as well as they're able to.

When it comes to choosing a career, take some serious psychological tests to help you pinpoint occupations where you can utilize your best talents, and work in a peaceful environment as well.
saul47

<

Postby alawn23 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:24 am

maybe you should get checked for aspergers, they hate loud noises, i think im that way myself, i feel the same way you do, i also have a twin sister myself
alawn23

Postby kurt » Tue May 22, 2012 4:43 am

I am like you. I am irritated by loud noises and unruly crowds. I try to avoid situations where I am exposed to them. I most hate when someone at the next table at a restautant is talking on a cell phone. I am just noise and crowd sensitive and have to decide if it is my problem or theirs. At a restaurant, it theirs.
kurt

Postby coulson » Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 am

You'll think I am crazy I know, but as for me....I think it's because we were deaf in our last life. We got use to the quiet solitude. Now we were granted a new life to see what we'd hoped for..."hearing" and now we have to suffer with what we wanted so badly then, in our other life.
coulson

Postby cianan » Tue May 22, 2012 4:54 am

To be honest.This sound a lot like me.i used to be very loud popular and had lot of friends but now I cant stand loud noises or people loud talking but now I.isolated from people.I love to be alone.and I.dont like.when somebody disturbs my peace starts talking I work In restaurant.and most of my time I sit.in the corner.i dont even have friends.i realy enjoy quiet enviroment and I am quite myself,dont like to talk much.i dont know why is it like that,is it depresion or what but I am the same.maybe something.is on your mind if u get.so easily destracted like me
cianan

Return to iPod