<

Will I lose my whole library if I uninstall and then reinstall iTunes?

Postby penleigh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 am

So, here's the deal. I purchase the new version of iTunes today, as I always do when a new version comes out. But for some reason it didn't purchase correctly, so when I tried to open it it would say "iTunes cannot be opened because not all of its components were purchase correctly. Please reinstall it." or something like that. I didn't know how else to do it, so I uninstalled iTunes without thinking about it first. But then I started worrying, what'll happen to my music and video library when I reinstall it?

So my question is, will all of my songs and videos saved on iTunes (and on my iPod, in case that changes anything) show up again? I have some songs and videos on my computer that I do not want on my iTunes, just so you know. Please, I'm worried about songs I've kind of "collected" over a period of years. And if everything won't come back as it was, is there any way I can kind of restore it? Thanks!
penleigh

Postby basile47 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 am

So, here's the deal. I purchase the new version of iTunes today, as I always do when a new version comes out. But for some reason it didn't purchase correctly, so when I tried to open it it would say "iTunes cannot be opened because not all of its components were purchase correctly. Please reinstall it." or something like that. I didn't know how else to do it, so I uninstalled iTunes without thinking about it first. But then I started worrying, what'll happen to my music and video library when I reinstall it?

So my question is, will all of my songs and videos saved on iTunes (and on my iPod, in case that changes anything) show up again? I have some songs and videos on my computer that I do not want on my iTunes, just so you know. Please, I'm worried about songs I've kind of "collected" over a period of years. And if everything won't come back as it was, is there any way I can kind of restore it? Thanks!
The files are still on your computer.

iTunes might automatically find them, or worst-case-scenario, you have to select the files and put them on iTunes again yourself.
basile47

<

Postby lintun » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:19 am

No. But you want to make sure, just drag them into another folder. But it should not erase all your library.
lintun

Postby yissachar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 am

It will still be there.
yissachar

Postby alter11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 am

Nope
alter11

Postby isidro85 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:47 am

Yes it will. That is why save your songs from old itunes into a folder and put them in new itunes and when they cannot be found, press the exclamation mark, then find the folder in which they are located. First save the songs into a folder, then uninstall and reinstall itunes then it will ask you to erase your ipod and sync it with the emptyt itunes library. Press okay or yes or whatever and then add the songs you saved into the folder into the new itunes library and sync it with those. But there is no way you can prevent them from getting deleted, I have gone through this a million times with restoring my computer, so just save them so u don't have to buy or purchase them all again.
isidro85

Return to iPod