<

Is my 10 year old son too young to get an Ipod touch?

Postby roslin81 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:26 am

What should I be concerned about as a parent? Are there parental controls?
roslin81

Postby yiftach » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:27 am

no, just set up parental control for the ipod.
yiftach

<

Postby loughlin57 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:30 am

My ex-husband got my 10 year old son an ipod touch last Christmas. I was also concerned. There are settings where you can turn off all access to the internet, and other restrictions (but if you restrict internet access, that pretty much takes care of your other concerns). It's under "settings", then you can create a 4-digit password that needs to be entered before anyone can change those settings. Obviously, don't tell your son the code, and don't make it anything he can easily guess, because he will try (I used the last 4 of my SSN - not our address or phone number or anything he might guess).

Also, you should be the one who purchase songs/apps from the internet and puts them on the ipod, not him. That way you have full control of what's going on there. Also, make sure he either does not put a passcode on it, or tells you what it is so you can take a look around on there every so often to make sure he hasn't somehow gotten something you don't approve of, or taken any pictures that he shouldn't.

My son's had his almost a year and hasn't had any problems. He did try to crack my settings code several times but failed. He sometimes takes it to school to use on the bus. This is something I do not really approve of, but told him it's totally his responsibility to make sure it's taken care of, and if anything happens to it, he's not getting a replacement. So far so good.
loughlin57

Postby geraghty » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 am

My ex-husband got my 10 year old son an ipod touch last Christmas. I was also concerned. There are settings where you can turn off all access to the internet, and other restrictions (but if you restrict internet access, that pretty much takes care of your other concerns). It's under "settings", then you can create a 4-digit password that needs to be entered before anyone can change those settings. Obviously, don't tell your son the code, and don't make it anything he can easily guess, because he will try (I used the last 4 of my SSN - not our address or phone number or anything he might guess).

Also, you should be the one who purchase songs/apps from the internet and puts them on the ipod, not him. That way you have full control of what's going on there. Also, make sure he either does not put a passcode on it, or tells you what it is so you can take a look around on there every so often to make sure he hasn't somehow gotten something you don't approve of, or taken any pictures that he shouldn't.

My son's had his almost a year and hasn't had any problems. He did try to crack my settings code several times but failed. He sometimes takes it to school to use on the bus. This is something I do not really approve of, but told him it's totally his responsibility to make sure it's taken care of, and if anything happens to it, he's not getting a replacement. So far so good.
If you think he is responsible and will not break/lose it, then I think it's fine. I'm not sure about parental controls (I bet they exist, I just don't know about them) but you could ask him every couple of days to see the ipod, and you can look at which apps he bought. If he doesn't show you when you ask, or he seems really nervous about it, something is probably up. Right after you give it to him, lay down some ground rules like: He can only get real apps, if you find something inappropriate on it it gets taken away, etc. Good luck :)
geraghty

Postby tevis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:40 am

There are parental controls. I would be more concerned if he was responsible enough to have one. I got my son Bishop a tablet and he's six. He's very good with it and he loves the educational games, but his older brother is very destructive so he's still on LeapFrog. Its a lot of money to waste if the kid's going to break it within a month.
tevis

Postby hariman5 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 am

Definetely not. Im sure there are some parental controls, but the only thing you should be worried about is the internet. Apple keeps the apps appropriate, and they have to approve of them before they go up for sale online.

Heres a article for setting up parental controls on iPhones & iPod touches

http://knol.google.com/k/how-to-setup-parental-controls-on-iphone-ipod-touch#
hariman5

Postby beldene82 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 am

I don t think so tell his to save up his money and then he could give it to you for you to order it their are parental controls and I don't think you should be worried just make sure he doesn't take it to school
beldene82

Postby gildi57 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:54 am

No, not really. My sister she is 5 has a laptop. My ten year old sister has a ipod touch, and a phone. So, definitely not.
gildi57

Postby lynne22 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:57 am

No, not really. My sister she is 5 has a laptop. My ten year old sister has a ipod touch, and a phone. So, definitely not.
No, why does he NEED one? Good parents would just say buy yourself, let alone have one.
A parent is suppose to meet your child(ren)'s needs and A ipod touch it FAR from a need.
lynne22

Postby cheasequah » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:01 am

I don't think it's a question of too young to have one rather than is he responsible enough to handle one.
cheasequah

Next

Return to iPod