<

How do I access the BIOS menu on a Mac?

Postby macauliffe20 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm

My Mac Mini has a screwed up boot loader, and it tries to boot into Linux. How can I access a BIOS menu (or an equivalent) where I can change the boot loader to start into Mac OS again?
macauliffe20

Postby kano » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

My Mac Mini has a screwed up boot loader, and it tries to boot into Linux. How can I access a BIOS menu (or an equivalent) where I can change the boot loader to start into Mac OS again?
hold down the OPTION (alt) hey as soon as you push the power button, this should allow you to boot to OSx if that doesn't work, put in the OSx install disc and hold C when you press power, this will force boot CD and let you run diagnostic tools
kano

<

Postby talbot36 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:09 pm

The BIOS menu can't change the configuration of a bootloader.

What's more, Apple thinks its customers are morons so they've blocked you from accessing the BIOS.

Anyways

Usually in a scenario like this, you can reconfigure the bootloader by altering a config file from your linux environment. Once you are done editing the config file, just reboot and it should behave normally. The exact method you use to find/alter the file depend on which bootloader you're using (i'm assuming grub) and which distribution of linux you have (maybe ubuntu?) At any rate, if you go to the support section of your linux distro's website it should walk you through how to reconfigure the bootloader.
talbot36

Return to Mac Mini