<

Can I transfer programs, eg Office 2010, and data from my pc to a mac pro?

Postby noshi91 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:19 am

There is a version of Office you can install on the Mac.

As another option, you can use BootCamp (real part of Mac OS) to partition your Mac drive, and install Windows on the Mac (must own a Windows install CD). When you boot up you have the choice of running Windows or Mac OS.

There are other programs, such as Parallels Desktop that allows Windows to run as just another program while running Mac OS !

One last option is to buy the inexpensive Apple iWork for word processing, presentations and spreadsheets if that is the type of data you have.

The data files can be copied any number of ways such as USB key, emailed, CD, DVD, etc.
noshi91

Postby leonore » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:21 am

No. You'll need to buy again a Microsoft Office 2010 or any software with versions designed for mac. you can transfer your data from your pc to mac pro with no problem .
leonore

<

Postby hid14 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:25 am

Yes and no. Windows software won't run on Mac OS, just like Mac software won't run under Windows. If they exist, you'll have to buy Mac versions of your apps.

However, you can install Windows on your Mac. Intel based Macs with Leopard and Snow Leopard come with an app called Boot Camp, which allows you to partition your hard drive and run Windows on your Mac. You'll need a copy of Windows to do the install - it has to be XP SP3 or greater and cannot be an upgrade or OEM version. And obviously it has to have a new key. You can also use virtual machine emulation software like Parallels to run Windows within Mac OS, then run your Windows apps on the virtual machines.
hid14

Return to Mac Pro