<

How long does MacBooks last?

Postby bazil36 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:43 pm

So I'm saving up for a MacBook air but I'm wondering how long it lasts before breaking or being slow? Average how long will it normally work?
bazil36

Postby geir32 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Well i'm not sure about air but I have a pro that i got last week and a Macbook i got a year ago and they are the exact same speed... so a long time! mind you that the macbook was used on ebay and from 2006! so its pretty good!
geir32

<

Postby devery » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Well i'm not sure about air but I have a pro that i got last week and a Macbook i got a year ago and they are the exact same speed... so a long time! mind you that the macbook was used on ebay and from 2006! so its pretty good!
it was always my thinking that computers themselves don't get slow rather the software and data usage becomes sluggish. one great thing that comes with macs is repairing disk permissions, which can be done simply by going to finder, applications, utility, disk utility. doing this and limiting the number of applications you have running at a time gives you a faster working computer from my experience.
For me the mac book air always seemed very fragile but that be a misconception on my part, i know that the macbook pro because it has an aluminum shell is very durable, but whatever you get, get some sort of case, especially if you use it for school like i do. bouncing in your backpack all day can take a toll on any laptop. i'd stay away from the cases at the apple store because their pricing can be ridiculous, try target they have quality cases for a reasonable price.
i've know people who have had macs last 7 years or 7weeks it all really depends on if how you take care of it. All in all apple is pricey but they are know for their quality, their laptops are soundly made and are study quality that lasts long.
devery

Postby damiano35 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm

they dont really slow down, honestly nobody really knows. Apples are some of those things that dont seem to just randomly break one day. Sometimes various parts break on them but usually the motherboards are good for a long time. Some people still run old powerbooks.

HPs have an average life of about a year before the motherboard goes out...

We dont know how long they last because they havent really started breaking in masses yet.
damiano35

Postby bogie88 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Usable Life= About 3 years

so, expect it to be in tune for about 3 years.

Or, buy a PC, and it will last forever. All you have to do is replace the parts.
bogie88

Postby mayhew » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:05 pm

no reason why it couldnt last for all your lifetime if you looked after it properly
mayhew

Return to MacBook Air