<

Anti-virus software for MacBook Pro?

Postby salvatorio44 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 pm

I have just bought a new MacBook Pro and as I do online banking. I am wondering what anti-virus and anti-malware software is best for my new MacBook. There are some real anti-virus and anti-malware software out there and I would be grateful if someone can tell me the best ones for my laptop. Thanks.
salvatorio44

Postby šlf21 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Sophos is a good real on for the Mac, and you barely even know it's running which is handy as nothing slows down. Had it on mine for a long time and never had a problem. I do all my banking on my MacBook.
šlf21

<

Postby haziel88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Great answer by Sivertongued...
It is very knowledgable and very accurate. I did tech support for a school district for 10 years, never had a Mac with a virus. If 3,000 kids trying to bypass filtering software, bringing in flash drives, and trying to access illegal sites, can't infect the Macs, what are your odds?
If is believed that most of the antivirus software out there for Macs causes more damage (corrupted files, false positives) than any of the malware. Unless you daily exchange files with Windows computers like in an office situation, you don't need an antivirus. Your MacBook Pro could pass on a Windows virus without itself being infected. I'd rather the Windows users get the software and protect themselves.
haziel88

Postby marleigh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm

For on line banking the best thing at the moment is Trusteer Rapport, which some banks give you for real, but you can get it from here;
http://www.trusteer.com/#
It locks down the link whilst you are communicating with your bank.
Mac is not immune from malware infection and most antimalware companies do versions for it, but the recommended protection for it is usually Sophos;
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/
Regards, Bert.
marleigh

Postby dedrick73 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi,
If you notice any Adwares and Spywares, you’re probably facing horrible pop-ups, your PC starts slowing down, and many more. I figured out this one site that totally helps me with my virus problems that have been driving me crazy. Millions of people have been using this site to get rid of any Spywares, Trojans, Worms, and Adwares. You can try purchase it and also scanning your PC for real. Check out this site:

tinyurl.com/noadware2012
dedrick73

Postby luigi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 pm

I hate Sophos. It take ALL DAY to scan. Also, Sophos has more "false positives" (thinks it found a virus, but it isn't really) than the others. I like iAntivirus, but it matters so little, because....

Strictly speaking, there are no known viruses currently in circulation for Mac OS X. Back in 2006, a worm that could damage uninstalled apps after the user installed the worm (it could not install itself) made the news, but it could not damage any OS X system files or any installed apps. There were a few actual viruses for Mac OS 9 and earlier, but that is ancient history.

Definitions:
-- virus: app that attaches itself to another app and can self-replicate.
-- worm: app that is unattached, self-replicating, self-sending (via network or attached disk).
-- Trojan horse: app that appears to be desirable, but is not.

It is not merely that there are fewer Mac computers that accounts for no known OS X viruses. Think about this for a moment: If there are already a million known viruses for Windows, but no known viruses for OS X, and you were an attention-starved teenage bad guy, wouldn't you be trying like mad to get headlines by making an OS X virus? You can be sure they are trying their best. OS X has several layers of built-in protection that keep the system files unharmed. This is true also for Linux. It is not true for Windows, and the results are obvious. If there were any real relationship between the number of viruses for a system type and the market share, we would have this ratio of viruses for Linux, OS X, and Windows: 1 / 9 / 99, because there are 9 times as many OS X system in use as Linux, and there are 11 times as many Windows systems in use as OS X. In fact, the real ratio of viruses is 0 / 0 / 1,000,000. The math has failed for these PC geeks who hate Apple.

There have never been any true OS X viruses, but there have been a few worms and Trojans. Even though a Trojan isn't a virus, it is designed to trick you into doing something, such as paying by credit card for some fraud, and that is no fun even if OS X is still unaffected. Your money will be affected. The latest malware definitions in any of the anti-virus apps can find and remove a Trojan from your computer if you happen to install one. Also, OS X Software Update will have security updates that block the latest Trojans.

real: ClamXAV, Sophos, Avast, or iAntiVirus (last requires OS 10.5 or later, and Intel).
Pay: Virex, Norton, Intego, MacScan, Avast.

IMHO, the real ones are the same level of protection as the pay ones. I have used all the real ones, and so far, they all have the exact same results: zero viruses in my 15 years of using them on my various Macs. It's like buying insurance against getting hit by a meteor.

Tracking cookies are a significant annoyance with Safari. They aren't malicious. They just watch your every move online. The best software for getting rid of tracking cookies is MacScan. The new version is US$29.95; if you can find version 2.6 (no longer on their site), it is real and malware profiles updates are real -- skip the MacScan engine update; that cancels your real use. In fact, if you remove all cookies in the Safari preferences, you will have removed any tracking cookies as well. The advantage of MacScan is you don't loose the cookies you want, such as your identity on your web-based email site or forums or items in a shopping cart at some retail site.

One other type of info thief is Flash cookies (more correctly called "Local Shared Objects"). Applying them in stealth is illegal in the U.K and a few other places. You have to remove them manually. They are at:
/Users /homefolder /Library /Preferences /Macromedia /Flash Player /#SharedObjects/9H4TGGSV (last location name will vary).
luigi

Return to MacBook Pro