<

How can I tell if my Mac has been hacked?

Postby adoniya45 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 am

I read a fairly recent news article about how there's a Trojan going around to infect Macs. First off - Trojans can steal information from your computer, right? Now I'm really worried that somebody's gotten into my computer.

I've had my Macbook Pro for a little over a year, and I thus far have not noticed anything suspicious. I haven't noticed any weird purchases from my bank accounts, no passwords have been changed, and nothing looks funky on my desktop. But the thing is, is it obvious when someone has gained remote access to your computer? I'm just not sure if it would be that obvious or there might be subtle signs I should watch out for.
adoniya45

Postby dillus94 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 am

Well, if I were a hacker writing malicious software, I'd make sure the user never notices that my program has infected their computer. That way they'd never think to look for it.

Most of the time it's obvious though. You web browser doesn't take you to the sites you want or your computer is super unresponsive.
dillus94

<

Postby esmund » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:50 am

That Trojan was not not successful against any Mac.

You Mac is fine.
esmund

Postby dwain23 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 am

MacBooks have built in software to notify you if you are installing a trojan. The few trojans that exist require the Mac user to be gullible and/or greedy. You have to purchase and install the software (baaaaaad version of antivirus, river of photoshop, baaaaaad version of adobe flash etc.) and use your admin password to install it. Then you have to ignore the warning that pops up on your Mac telling you that you are installing a trojan. 99.96% of all malware is written for the Windows platform. I did tech support for a school district for 10 years, I never had a Mac with malware on it.
The first thing you would notice is redirection on websites to baaaaaad ones and eventually charges to your credit card. Usually a couple dollars at first to see if you notice, before they sell your credit card info.
dwain23

Return to MacBook Pro