<

How do I get my Mac to stop overheating and making that fan noise?

Postby pinochos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi I have the newest macbook pro 13 inch and it overheats quite often and it makes a fan noise thats quite loud. It's obnoxious when I'm trying to work and study, and my parents always think I'm running games on it and thats why its making those sounds, when I'm not. They might take away my mac if it keeps overheating since they don't believe that I'm not running games. So how do i make this crap stop?
pinochos

Postby reave » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:07 pm

There could be many causes for fan issues. One of them is that there could be some problem in the SMC (System Management Controller). That sounds scary, but no worries. Here's an article on resetting the SMC: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Notice the section that lists symptoms under which you should reset the SMC:
"Fans
The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated."

To reset SMC on your MacBook Pro, you should follow the instructions for "portables with a battery you should not remove on your own":

1. Shut down your computer.
2. Plug it in to a power source.
3. On the keyboard, hold down the Shift, Control, and Option keys on the left side of the keyboard, then without letting go press down the power button.
4. Let go of all the keys and the power button.
5. Press just the power button to turn the machine back on. In my experience, the computer may not turn on the first time you press the power button. If not, just press it again.

Of course, this is just one thing to try.
reave

<

Postby collin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 pm

My Macbook Pro fan automatically speeds up whenever it's too warm, usually like when I'm streaming video for a long time. The higher fan speed helps keep the laptop cool. If you're running games, than the Macbook Pro is just doing what's it's designed to do, protect itself from overheating. If you also have the a/c charger plugged in (which, btw, lets your laptop run faster; so good for games), the battery is getting charged, which tends to heat up the laptop more, and cause the fan to run faster. If the battery has enough charge for a while, you can unplug the charger and run on battery. That may reduce heat enough so that it doesn't run the fan that fast(and noisy).

A 13" laptop doesn't have much space inside it for the electronics to keep cool while playing games. You will have a much better gaming experience on a desktop (the tower kind). You may have to choose between playing games or keeping your laptop!
collin

Postby kenton19 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:14 pm

You should not be hearing the fans regularly. Check for software updates from Software Update from the Apple menu (top left). Where are you using it? Does it have a flow of air passing through it? If so there is something wrong with it and it needs checking over by an Apple engineer.

"The bottom of the MacBook Pro case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case."
kenton19

Postby saturnin79 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Mine only makes that noise if I'm watching several movies at once. If yours is overheating when it should be idle, there must be a problem with it.
saturnin79

Return to MacBook Pro