<

A required codec is not available?

Postby barrymore » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm uploading videos from my Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar Sony Handycam to my Macbook Pro. After clicking on Finder and going to the Device, I find the videos and drag them onto the Desktop. When I double click, however, to watch the video in Quicktime, it gives me a message saying,

"The document 1.MPG could not be opened. A required codec isn't available."

After clicking the "Tell Me More" button, I'm taken to this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775?viewlocale=en_US

So, from my understanding, the type of file cannot be played in Quicktime. How can I convert it into a file that does work, and which type of file should I convert it to?

Any help would be appreciated.
barrymore

Postby jacot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Is this OS 10.6.8 or earlier? Lion and Mountain Lion have this software included.

It CAN be played with QuickTime 7 -- as soon as you pay the fee for Sony's MPEG-2 codec.

Sony is a member of the licensing committee that owns the patent for MPEG-2 format, an old standard no longer used by Apple or Microsoft for any video product (MPEG-4 / H.264 is the new standard). MPEG-2 was expressly designed for DVD and TV broadcast, but Sony has found a little money machine by using that odd format for all their camcorders and cameras that have camcorder option. They do not let Apple use that format freely. Apple passes on the royalty fees charged by Sony and cronies by selling the MPEG-2 Component, link below. Buy and install it (IF you are still using OS 10.6.8 or earlier) to enable QuickTime Player, iMovie, iTunes, and iDVD to play-edit-convert any MPEG-2 file.

Before you spend money on the codec, consider upgrading to OS 10.7 if your Mac has Intel Core 2 Duo or later processor (Core Duo is a no-go). You would spend $10 more than the cost of the codec and get not just this video solution, but much more.

An alternate way to convert for real is Prism, link below. Try output as MPEG-4/H.264

"Section 3 of the License provides the schedule of royalties that apply to the sublicenses granted under Section 2:" blah blah... means pay up or forget about using our format.
jacot

<

Postby curadhan50 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Try using VLC player. It can open just about anything. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
curadhan50

Return to MacBook Pro