<

Should I store my music and photos in my macbook pro?

Postby saturnin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:15 am

I brought a new MCP yesterday.

My old crappy computer was a Dell and I stored all my music and pictures (240GBs worth) in an external hard drive.

Is it safe and alright to transfer everything to the new MBP and use that as the main place instead of plugging a harddrive in everytime?

Say I use iTunes a lot.

Thx
saturnin

Postby oratun » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:19 am

My old crappy computer was a Dell and I stored all my music and pictures (240GBs worth) in an external hard drive.

Is it safe and alright to transfer everything to the new MBP and use that as the main place instead of plugging a harddrive in everytime?

Say I use iTunes a lot.

Thx
you should defininatly not put 240 gigs on ur new macbook pro, bad idea.

just selectivly pick and choose to lower the size.

btw, i transfered only 8 gigs to my new macbook pro and it took a whole day basically.
cant imagine how long 240 gigs would take.
oratun

<

Postby cullin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:32 am

Say I use iTunes a lot.

Thx
you should defininatly not put 240 gigs on ur new macbook pro, bad idea.

just selectivly pick and choose to lower the size.

btw, i transfered only 8 gigs to my new macbook pro and it took a whole day basically.
cant imagine how long 240 gigs would take.
Sure why not, as long as you have ample hard drive space. I'd keep it backed up on your external one though. Always good to have a backup in case one of the drives fails

Problem is though, laptops generally have smaller hard drives, especially Macs
cullin

Postby bates » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:34 am

theres no reason not to, but why dont you keep them both on your mac and on another hard drive, just in case and if possible, use firewire to transfer or it will take FOREVER
bates

Postby addams » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:35 am

Is it safe storing important files to only 1 place? No. When that drive fails (drives are mechanical devices - they *will* fail at some time) you lose everything.

Is it safe to store everything on the internal drive, as long as you have a backup (say, on the external drive)? Yes, as long as the failure isn't your house burning down (in which case you lose both drives).
addams

Postby squier59 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:47 am

I have a mac book pro too and I think 240 gig is too much, lap tops are not meant as storage devices, you will generate other files and consume more space the more you use the machine so better to leave the music at least on the external
squier59

Return to MacBook Pro