<

What pc laptop is as good as the macbook pro?

Postby jopie6 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:58 pm

I've had a macbook pro for about a year now and I would like to know what pc laptop is as good as my macbook pro. I'm just getting frustrated how mac makes you pay for everything and also its really hard to play mmorpgs on macs since most aren't compatible with mac.
Thanks!
jopie6

Postby merlow67 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:02 pm

I am very happy with this HP TouchSmart 600-1370 computer... it is great looking, compact and very fast. The think wireless keyboard has a great look and feel. The touch screen is a novelty to us right now and we don't use that feature a lot but it is cool with certain apps. I'd recommmend it...
merlow67

<

Postby ernesto20 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Well,

any laptop with a intel core i5 processor and a ATI or nvidia GPU would fit you. visit a few online stores and browse for the ones with a nvidia GPU ( graphics card).

ASUS is a good brand. and a copy of windows 7 would do the trick. (ehhm, a virus guard will be a good option too)

good luck.
ernesto20

Postby adalwen » Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 pm

The question is more like which laptop is better than a MacBook Pro? There are plenty of good options (below are only a few examples).

More Power for better Price - This is by far the easiest. The ASUS N53SV can be found on Amazon for only $900 and has a quad-core Sandy-Bridge processor, GT540m graphics card, USB 3.0, HDMI, and many other features. Compared to the $1800 MacBook Pro, this computer has more ports/features you will actually use, does not need pointless adapters just to hook up a display, a better graphics card, and a much better user experience with less overheating. For the ultra-high end on power, look at the ASUS G series of gaming laptops, the M15x, or a Sager laptop.

Better Battery Life - Netbooks get 10+ hours. Macs don't. Also, the ThinkPad T420 can get over 7 hours on a standard battery (extended 9 cell available for about 12 hours if you want the battery hump). The old Dell Latitude E6410 could get 24 hour battery life with the extended batteries. Also, you can replace the battery on nearly every PC but not Mac, giving you virtually unlimited usage.

Better Build Quality - No, Macs are not the most reliable. According to recent studies, ASUS is. Pretty bad for Apple considering Dell is only slightly behind in reliability and yet sells many times more units. For the best build quality, I would go for the business line of laptop. The ThinkPad T420 and new HP Elitebook line is really good with this due to a magnesium roll cage, water-proof keyboard, and on some models, military grade stress testing. Mac build quality now is only on par with consumer level computers.

Combining it all - My choice would be the Thinkpad T420 as the best balance of power and mobility (it appears as winners in many categories). It will be faster than your Mac and since Macs never use good GPUs and the Thinkpad does not have the best GPU, it will not feel as foreign as say coming from a GTX480 desktop. Since you are a gamer, I would suggest the Asus N53SV for the best power. It is a fast midrange gaming laptop and still gets decent (4 hour) battery life.
adalwen

Return to MacBook Pro