<

Why is my Macbook Pro so slow and laggy?!?

Postby bentleah72 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:30 pm

It's not really the program itself that's slow. It's just Firefox. The little rainbow wheel thing goes on every time I type quickly, or switch between tabs quickly. It's getting really annoying. I've only had this computer for about four months. My old Macbook from four years ago is even working better. Why is it being like this?! Everything else is okay... Not as fast as I remembered from my previous Macbook, but not terribly slow either.

I've came up with a few possible reasons?

1) My computer is school-issued, so it has the school program on it. However it says that I still have 203 GB left, so that shouldn't be the case?
2) I never turn my laptop off. At night or when I'm not using it, I usually just put the screen down. Is that bad? Should I turn it off more often?
3) Viruses?!

Should I try using Google Chrome instead? I hate Safari.

Please help!!!
Thanks.
bentleah72

Postby toukere » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Restarting any computer regularly is very beneficial.
Check to see that your Firefox is up to date.
Clear the Firefox cache.
Repair permissions on your hard drive using the Disk Utilities program located in your Applications/Utilities folder may help as well.
:)
toukere

<

Postby dick10 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:39 pm

A PC with 203 GB space left should naturally work fine.
And as for the second thing, I also keep my laptop on for purchase through out the night, but in this case u should switch off ur laptop more often, just to be on the safe side.
If u have too many addons installed on Firefox, try removing the unnecessary ones.
Safari is not as bad as it looks. For instance, it loads the pics u search for at a snap.
And if this doesn't work, may be u need to re-install firefox.
dick10

Postby stanedisc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:46 pm

1) Could be, but it shouldn't slow it down much.

2) No. I have computers that have been running for 10 years, and they're as fast as they were 10 years ago. Firefox is another matter - close it down every night. It can have a memory leak - and that makes "crawl" seem fast. Google Chrome is about the fastest browser, but if you want addons, Firefox beats anything else.

3) Possible. It's a computer, it's connected to the internet, so you could have purchase viruses. If you don't have an anti-virus program running, purchase Clam-AV. There's a Mac version, it's good and it's real.
stanedisc

Return to MacBook Pro